Power factor conditioner

Anything electric, AC or DC

Postby Larwyn » Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:59 pm

powderburn wrote:I see the effects of harmonics all the time when going into customers homes because their neutral is burned back to the meter socket.I even purchased a specialty meter to help me detect the presents of harmonics so I can ruduce the effect as much as possable.Buisnesses with long banks of flourscent lighting seem to have more trouble than anyone.
I have not had any experience with VARs though.Something else I will have to look into.

Yep, and shared neutrals seemed like such a good idea..... :(
Larwyn

Keeper of the Most Out Of Control Shop (2005)

I feel bad for the man that cannot spell a word more than one way. Mark Twain
Larwyn
Mad Kilted Texan

Postby bdosborn » Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:31 pm

powderburn wrote:Buisnesses with long banks of flourscent lighting seem to have more trouble than anyone.

Cheap electronic ballasts. I've never had any problems on my jobs but then we spec good ballasts (PF>=0.95 and THD<10%). I bet their transformers are running real hot as well. The same problem can occur when their are a lot of PCs in the building.
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby bdosborn » Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:45 pm

Larwyn wrote:Watts = Volts * Amps * Cos(angle)

or
Watts=Volts* amps*PF
or
Watts=Volts(L-L)*Amps*PF*sqrt(3) for 3 phase power.

This is one reason why Edison didn't like AC, he never did quite figure out the power triangle. ;)
Bruce
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby bdosborn » Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:48 pm

powderburn wrote: Yeah....But tell a store owner that he needs to buy expensive balasts...lmao.
Weve been using Advance balasts mostly because they are inexpensive and seem to last better than others.If we get called back to a job because a balast we just changed goes out again,they wont pay for the second trip.(cant blame them).
In the const field,$$$$ means getting a job or loosing it.Doing a job twice means working for free.I dont need "practice"...lol

Pay more now now or pay more later. A better ballast saves on energy costs as well as lasting longer. But I know what you're saying. I never get energy star transformers past value engineering. 1.7 year payback for a 75kva transformer that will save $1500 over its life and yet they always go for the first cost savings. That might change now that oil is over $60/barrel.
Bruce
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Previous

Return to Electrical Secrets