microwaves for campers

Anything electric, AC or DC

Re: microwaves for campers

Postby 48Rob » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:37 am

...Bob, it does always smell pretty good around your camp... :R :campfire:

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

microwaves for campers

Postby oklahomajewel » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:16 am

Microwave NO. My 2nd teardrop, we put a small toaster oven! Now THAT got used almost every trip! Biscuits for breakfast, cornbread for potluck, toast with some garlic butter with dinner. Definitely consider a toaster oven!
Last edited by oklahomajewel on Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some things are way over my head !! ...but it keeps me looking UP!
oklahomajewel
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby pmowers » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:28 pm

I built in a microwave in the front of my 6x10 CTC. We do use it, but then we are normally in a campground with AC available. A friend has a Sharp microwave oven in his trailer that is also a convection oven. It is sweet- fresh baked biscuits in 10 minutes. While we do the majority of cooking over coals or propane, the vagaries of weather tend to get in the way with campfires. I remember having the perfect bed of coals ready, turned to get the steaks and the sky opened up, dumping a couple of inches of rain in under 30 minutes. I didn't even make in under shelter without getting soaked to the skin. :x
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Build log:http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=51193
pmowers
Donating Member

Postby dales133 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:51 pm

There are stainless steel slide out kitchen units avaliable in Australia (I'm not sure about there) built for camper trailers with sinks and gas cooker built in you could slide out the side
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

microwaves for campers

Postby aggie79 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:51 pm

MntDon is correct. There is no right answer. For us, we wouldn't leave home without one. We only camp where there is electricity so power is a non-issue. Our camping trips are infrequent so we tend to maximize available time when we camp for hiking, biking and other activities or just relaxing. Cooking is not of high importance. We usually bring home-cooked meals, reheat them in the microwave and eat on paper plates with plastic utensils. From start to finish including clean-up we are done in 15 minutes. That said, there are times when we bring our Dutch oven, Kamado cooker, and or grill and spend a lot of time cooking. It depends upon what mood we're in when we are packing for the trip.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby len19070 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:27 pm

I will offer one suggestion that could replace a Microwave.

First off warming water can be done with a Pot and a stove, that includes Coffee.

But what I do is make "Boil in Bag Meals", that is if I had meatloaf, corn and mashed potatoes on Tuesday before I left to go camping, I put some Meatloaf, corn and Mashed Potatoes in separate "Zippy" bags, refrigerate them and when I get to camp Boil a pot of water and put them in the boiling water for a bit, pour them on a plate and Wa-La, same as a microwave.

No muss, no fuss, no dirty Pots & Pans and if you use paper & plastic silverware theres no clean up either.

Happy Trails

Len
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby bobhenry » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:42 pm

Boil in the bag dinners :oops:

Last edited by bobhenry on Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:19 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby lrrowe » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:57 pm

Now that does look good.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby CAJUN LADY » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:13 pm

Gene, if you like using a microwave then bring one. I bring a tiny one and keep it under my canopy outside and I use it. I love microwave popcorn and always pop some when camping. I use it to reheat things for me or if my grand daughter is camping, for her. Mine gets used both at home and camping so I like having one. It stays in my camper when I'm not camping and it stays outside under the canopy when camping. Works for me. :thumbsup:
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby Verna » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:01 pm

I've been camping for the past three weeks and will continue for about 3 more months. What I do is to spend time making some meals about once a week so that I can reheat the food later. I put individual servings in vacuum-sealed bags in the ARB, snd I reheat them in the microwave when I have shore power. If I don't have shore power, then I'll use either the propane stove/grill or the butane stove to cook or reheat. I love my microwave, I use it a lot at home, and the space it takes in my galley is is fine with me. I store my microwave cookware inside the microwave when on the road. If you use a microwave at home, go ahead and use one camping, if you have shore power. Be sure to have an alternative if there isn't shore power, just like at home.
Verna
Indianapolis, IN
Verna
Gold Donating Member

Previous

Return to Electrical Secrets