Wiring a water pump??

Anything electric, AC or DC

Wiring a water pump??

Postby MyYota85 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:18 pm

I need to start off by saying I know nothing about electricity, the best I can do is rewire my trailer lights.
So here's my question I will be using a 5,000 watt generator all the time. I will have a tiny fridge"simple plug in" a microwave "simple plug in" an ac "simple plug in" a simple plug in light inside the trailer. And one of the big power strips I've seen on this site for misc use.
My question is how do I wire a shurflo water pump? I'm looking at this one
http://m.ebay.com/itm/311007250841?nav=SEARCH

Or should I hire a professional for this part of the trailer?
MyYota85
Teardrop Builder

Re: Wiring a water pump??

Postby MtnDon » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:29 pm

That pump uses 12 volt DC power. Like from a 12 volt battery. With your trailer have its own 12 volt battery?

If not and if you intend to always run all the electric stuff ogg 120 volt AC then don't buy that pump. Shurflo makes it in a 120 VAC version, though it may not be as easy to find.

Most of us have an onboard battery, some very small. The 12 volt onboard battery is great to have for 12 volt lighting, usually LED. And for running fans.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby MyYota85 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:07 am

I will have the battery that comes with the trailer. I just ordered from diamond cargo, just waiting for it to be ready.
So if I tap off of that battery also the few indoor lights "that come with trailer". Would it be able to run the full 20 gallons and provide two lights thru a weekend. Usually FRIDAY/Saturday?
Thanks for the help Don
MyYota85
Teardrop Builder

Postby GuitarPhotog » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:18 pm

MyYota85 wrote:I will have the battery that comes with the trailer. I just ordered from diamond cargo, just waiting for it to be ready.
So if I tap off of that battery also the few indoor lights "that come with trailer". Would it be able to run the full 20 gallons and provide two lights thru a weekend. Usually FRIDAY/Saturday?
Thanks for the help Don

How big is your battery? That's what's going to determine the answer to your questions.

How are you going to charge the battery?

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby MyYota85 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:54 pm

I haven't gotten the trailer yet so I would hope the battery that comes with it would suffice? I will charge with my truck during driving and i can charge at night with generator.
MyYota85
Teardrop Builder

Postby wtcreaux » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:21 am

MyYota85 wrote:I will have the battery that comes with the trailer. I just ordered from diamond cargo, just waiting for it to be ready.
Thanks for the help Don

Be cautious.....that battery "that comes with the trailer" is usually designed to only operate the electric brakes in a break-away situation (unless you have special ordered). The lights "that come with the trailer" usually only work when plugged into the tow vehicle (TV) and are NOT working off the trailer battery (again, unless you have special ordered).........
wtcreaux
Teardrop Master

Postby dales133 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:33 am

Is the sure flow a negative pressure pump?
Ie does it come on when a tap is opened?
This is by far the best, easiest pump to fit.i haven't fitted one in a TD but I have in a boat and it's an extremely simple job.
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby MyYota85 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:10 am

So I will plan on buying a bigger battery. I will make sure it is a negative pressure pump before purchasing. Thanks for the help guys.
MyYota85
Teardrop Builder

Postby AlienSKP » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:11 pm

Hi

I bought a shurflo on amazon for less than 100 bucks. It's 7.5 amp so it's not that much and you won't run your pump for hours so you can run it from your car battery or get a small 12V battery that you can charge from a solar panel..

cheers
AlienSKP
Teardrop Builder

Return to Electrical Secrets