backup camera for a tiny trailer?

Anything electric, AC or DC

backup camera for a tiny trailer?

Postby gene so » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:21 pm

Hello,

I am finishing the welding of my custom trailer frame, The body will be 9ft., 66 inches wide and five foot high. My wife is claustrophobic, but does have insights I never thought of, wondered about a back up camera.

So, does anyone have a backup camera on their trailer? I am wondering about whether you even could do this since these cameras are usually mounted to a pickup, but not usually to a hitched trailer, that I am aware of.
Also, there have to be good, mediocre and bad cameras out there. What would you recommend?

Thanks for any input as to this camera issue.

Gene So
gene so
Teardrop Advisor

Re: backup camera for a tiny trailer?

Postby lrrowe » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:35 pm

Gene so,

See this recent post.
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=61222&start=45
It is not TD, but nevertheless is similar to what you are asking about.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby GuitarPhotog » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:38 pm

I researched them but didn't buy. Most wireless backup cameras still need wiring for 12 VDC supply, and most use the same RF frequencies that BlueTooth uses, so if you have a Bluetooth-equipped tow vehicle, the camera is pretty useless. It's a major PITA to turn off the Sync feature in my pickup so I decided to go with wired. That too got shot down when I looked at how difficult it was going to be to get the wiring from the dash to the hitch, and then maybe to the trailer.

I find I can back the trailer up just fine using just the mirrors, but wanted something that would assist in hitching up the trailer.

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:57 pm

This one is called wireless but it gets its power from being plugged into the cigarette outlet.

http://www.amazon.com/Yada-BT53872M-2-D ... uctDetails

Here's another one:

http://www.amazon.com/Yada-BT53872M-2-D ... uctDetails

And, an extension cord, which you may need for any of these to work with your trailer:

http://www.amazon.com/Peak-PKC0RD-01-25 ... JJD8D2GVW0

I appreciate your question as I never thought to look for an extension cord and it made me research. This might be good for me, too! They don't seem to be a bad idea.
I tow solo and have to get out of the car and walk back periodically, to see exactly where I am at, especially if I get to my campsite late at night. (Sometimes, I just unhook and push it into place; but it isn't always wise to do that, such as on a hillside.)
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:48 pm

GuitarPhotog wrote:I find I can back the trailer up just fine using just the mirrors, but wanted something that would assist in hitching up the trailer.

<Chas>

Charles, my solution is definitely low-key and not electrical but they work! Try these: http://www.harborfreight.com/magnetic-t ... 69778.html

If you happen to be at the Dam Gathering, this spring, you can try mine then.

PS. They telescope up.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby GuitarPhotog » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:18 am

S. Heisley wrote:
GuitarPhotog wrote:I find I can back the trailer up just fine using just the mirrors, but wanted something that would assist in hitching up the trailer.

<Chas>

Charles, my solution is definitely low-key and not electrical but they work! Try these: http://www.harborfreight.com/magnetic-t ... 69778.html

If you happen to be at the Dam Gathering, this spring, you can try mine then.

PS. They telescope up.

Sharon, I've seen those in the HF flyers. Do they actually work? Do they work any better than a piece of tape on the tailgate and on the front of the trailer? That's what I'm using now. Just line up the tape and I'm pretty close. It just doesn't work well in the rain ;-(

I'll check yours out at the Dam.

Thanks Sharon

<Chas>
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:04 am

gene so wrote:Hello,

I am finishing the welding of my custom trailer frame, The body will be 9ft., 66 inches wide and five foot high. My wife is claustrophobic, but does have insights I never thought of, wondered about a back up camera.

So, does anyone have a backup camera on their trailer? I am wondering about whether you even could do this since these cameras are usually mounted to a pickup, but not usually to a hitched trailer, that I am aware of.
Also, there have to be good, mediocre and bad cameras out there. What would you recommend?

Thanks for any input as to this camera issue.

Gene So

I've got a canopy on my 2007 Tacoma and when your backing with it, your blind. The newer ones come with cameras with the display in the rear view mirror. After backing into one light pole, I looked long and hard before I made my descion. The camera was cheap.* The mirror wasn't. I think the system cost me about $400 but well worth not backing into something. The key to these devices is the screen and that's where the expense kicks in. Would it work for a trailer? Shure. With most 7-prong plugs, you've got at least one unused wire. You'd power it up with your back-up light circuit.

Would I put it in a trailer? :thumbdown: But that's me. That's where camping partners come in.

Tony

*I have no idea what camera I used. It's super-wide angled. Start Googling for a Tacoma back-up camera if you're serious. It's the mirrore that will bite.

p.s. It's great for hitching up the tear.
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby gene so » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:07 am

Thanks so much for these replies which gives me a lot of potential opportunities to what seemed to me an obvious problem, especially at night in the "boonies".
All the insights made me aware not only of a camera for this usage, but also the Min Kota battery box with the charging status on top for easy review. I also appreciated the wiring info as this is an area of near total ignorance in my part.

Thank you all again.

Gene So
gene so
Teardrop Advisor

Postby RonS » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:47 pm

Seems a simple solution would be a GoPro camera paired to a cellphone for the view screen....
Why do we drive on a parkway and park on a driveway?
RonS
Teardrop Master

Postby Jdw2717 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:09 pm

I don't know if you are still looking for options but I have one of e wireless iBall cameras for mine. It has a magnetic mount for the camera and a screen on an extension that you plug into the cigarette lighter. It works great for backing up to the trailer since you can see the ball. I also use mine to back the camper into the garage. I put the camera on the open garage door and I can see the trailer as it approaches the garage door and as it enters the garage as I back it in. That way I can see if the fenders are going to hit the side of the door. I have to back mine uphill and at an turning angle to get it in the garage and this works great.
"Twenty years form now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines... Explore. Dream. Discover" Mark Twain

John & Tatanya
Jdw2717
Teardrop Master

Return to Electrical Secrets