Question on breakaway battery

Anything electric, AC or DC

Question on breakaway battery

Postby sdiver68 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:44 pm

I have an electric brake breakaway battery mounted on the tongue of the cargo trailer I'm converting to a Toy Hauler lite. I also have the Tekonsha Prodigy wireless brake controller to install on the trailer if that makes any difference.

The interior lights do not work when disconnected from the vehicle thus I believe the existing battery is only hooked up to the breakaway controller. The trailer was delivered with a cheap Interstate SP-18 U1 lawn and garden battery.

My question is can I replace that existing battery with a better battery and use it for both breakaway AND 12VDC purposes? I don't want to power much off DC, really just a wireless cargo and pit monitoring security camera and a few small interior LEDs replacing the bulbs in the existing dome lights.

Would I simply wire up a second pair of cables off the battery and into the trailer to a dedicated fuse box?
sdiver68
Teardrop Builder

Re: Question on breakaway battery

Postby PaulS » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:57 pm

Yes, you should be able to.
PaulS
PaulS
Teardrop Master

Postby lrrowe » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:12 pm

You must make sure the battery is charged for the system to work.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby Nobody » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:15 pm

Tho I've been told they exist, I've never seen a trailer with breakaway switch that uses a battery other than the 'house' battery. I'm sure that cargo trailers, livestock trailers, equipment trailers, etc., have a battery that is used primarily for the breakaway switch. I've owned more'n a few RV trailers over the years, all with 12vdc (usually with power converter/charger) and auxiliary (house) battery. ALL of them used the house battery as power source for the breakaway switch to activate the trailer brakes in case of hitch disconnect. In all I've seen, it is a 'passive' connection, with no power being used unless the breakaway switch is activated.
Harvey -

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Doing the right thing ain't always easy but, . . . it's always right!
Nobody
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby sdiver68 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:47 pm

Thanks all! Yes I think it should work also just wanted to get some validation. Assuming it works, I already have a tongue mounted battery and vehicle charging set-up to tap into.
sdiver68
Teardrop Builder

Postby pchast » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:15 pm

IT will work. Is it 'good practice'? :thinking:

If it allows you to start a tow with a used up battery on hand,
probably Not.

(flame suit on) :)
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Dale M. » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:04 am

Personally I would not do it..... The idea of breakaway battery is a safety item, it is required to hold trailer stationary (brakes locked) for at least 15 minutes by law if it becomes accidentally disconnect from tow vehicle .... I would not jepordise this...

Generally the break away battery is about 12 volts and only 7 amp hour capacity.... It will only last so long with what it is intended to do (electric brakes draw in range of 4-6 amps).... I would not try to power DC accessories off it.....

Also if your are going to use a larger battery for DC accessories AND the break away feature, what if you have drained the battery dead in camp and start out and you have not latched hitch correctly and you loose trailer and battery is not sufficiently charged, if on flat ground it may not be a real problem, but if its on a hill, wave bye-bye to trailer...

I would not double up personal convince power with safety power if it were me...

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby sdiver68 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:11 pm

My trailer brakes are an extra safety precaution only, rarely will my trailer be required to have brakes by law because it will usually be under 3000lbs. Also, I happen to live in a State that has NO trailer brake law...however many of the States I travel through are the standard 3K.

It's a salient safety point to consider, thanks!
sdiver68
Teardrop Builder

Postby GuitarPhotog » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:47 pm

sdiver68 wrote:My trailer brakes are an extra safety precaution only, rarely will my trailer be required to have brakes by law because it will usually be under 3000lbs. Also, I happen to live in a State that has NO trailer brake law...however many of the States I travel through are the standard 3K.

In California, that limit is 1500 lbs, not 3K

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby Dale M. » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:35 am

GuitarPhotog wrote:
sdiver68 wrote:My trailer brakes are an extra safety precaution only, rarely will my trailer be required to have brakes by law because it will usually be under 3000lbs. Also, I happen to live in a State that has NO trailer brake law...however many of the States I travel through are the standard 3K.

In California, that limit is 1500 lbs, not 3K

<Chas>
:beer:

Yeah!....

Dale

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby asianflava » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:53 am

Bought a brand new car hauler when we moved across country, I think the breakaway battery was dead from the get-go. There is a test button on the box and it would never light. Kinda disappointed with the whole thing because the front panel is all crumbly and I poked a hole in it when I pushed the button the last time. For something that is supposed to be out in the elements, it didn't take them very well. I plan on replacing the whole thing eventually, but I've owned it for almost 7 years like that so you can see how high it is on the priority list.

I think you should do it and not worry about it. Just be aware not to drain it, if you do be aware that it is.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Dale M. » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:14 am

Hmmm.... Mine has worked really good for almost 7-8 years, just a few month ago the test lamp quit functioning, but charge light still works.... I was kind of thinking the elements finally got to switch...

Dale

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Dale M. » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:23 am

asianflava wrote:Bought a brand new car hauler when we moved across country, I think the breakaway battery was dead from the get-go. There is a test button on the box and it would never light. Kinda disappointed with the whole thing because the front panel is all crumbly and I poked a hole in it when I pushed the button the last time. For something that is supposed to be out in the elements, it didn't take them very well. I plan on replacing the whole thing eventually, but I've owned it for almost 7 years like that so you can see how high it is on the priority list.

I think you should do it and not worry about it. Just be aware not to drain it, if you do be aware that it is.

My breakaway battery box was manufactured by Hopkins, and this thread pushed me into contacting them about test button issue... As of this morning (2-23-14) I received a reply e-mail from them saying they are sending me a replacement lid (no charge) to the box with all new electronics... You might want to enquire to tech support for the company that made you unit...

Dale

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby asianflava » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:23 am

Thanks for the info! Mine is a Redline unit. I think it is the same as the Hopkins because they look the same (one is probably a rebrand of the other). I'll give a shot this weekend and see what happens.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Return to Electrical Secrets