PD4045 Noise level

Anything electric, AC or DC

PD4045 Noise level

Postby Diemjoe » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:53 pm

I see that my PD4045 has a fan on it. As I am trying to figure out a place to mount it, I am wondering how loud the fan gets when it turns on. Is it triggered by heat or is just on? How much heat does it give off, assuming night time use so low power consumption. But leading up to bedtime there will probably be plenty of lights, maybe a stereo playing. Don't want to try sleeping in a needlessly heated cabin on a hot summer night.

As usual. Thanks
Don Miller
Seattle
Trippinwithdon.com
Diemjoe
Teardrop Master

Re: PD4045 Noise level

Postby GuitarPhotog » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:06 pm

My PD4045 is located in the bulkhead just above the head of my bed. It makes a little fan noise when shore power is first applied and when heavily loaded i.e., all lights and fans.

I wouldn't worry about the noise, it's negligible compared to the damned crickets outside ;-)

And no, it doesn't give off any appreciable heat. Heat happens only when plugged into shore power and charging the battery. Other times, no appreciable heat.

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby Diemjoe » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:14 pm

Thanks. Now I just have to decide if the cabin or the galley loses the cubic foot of space.
Don Miller
Seattle
Trippinwithdon.com
Diemjoe
Teardrop Master

Postby GuitarPhotog » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:07 pm

Put it where it's easy to get to the wiring on the back. You don't need to get to the front much if you have a remote battery disconnect switch and don't use the 120VAC circuit breakers much. But you are gonna need to hook the wires that come out the back to terminal strips mounted near the PD (the wires are only 10-12 inches long).

My TD is in storage or I'd show you pix of my wiring.

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby backstrap bandit » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:48 am

I mounted mine I galley in a cabinet under the cabinets that is where all my wireing and outlets , fuses ect . R located 2 outside outlets 2 galley outlets and 2 12 volt outlets in galley and same in cabin
backstrap bandit
Teardrop Master

Return to Electrical Secrets