Galley Lighting

Anything electric, AC or DC

Galley Lighting

Postby Diemjoe » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:17 pm

I am trying to get all my electrical fixtures decided upon and in hand before I start putting my cabin and galley together. I am think that I will buy 12volt puck lights. But with a 5 foot wide galley, how many would I need to cover the whole counter surface? is there a way to determine what the field of coverage is (listed on the box?). The ones I see at Big Box Stores come for household use so they include the bulky transformer. I assume I would toss that and wire directly to a PD4045 DC circuit.

Also, I know that they use little power and last pretty much forever but Is it me or do others find LED lights to be rather harsh? Especially in an otherwise very dark environment, like a late night campground.
Don Miller
Seattle
Trippinwithdon.com
Diemjoe
Teardrop Master

Re: Galley Lighting

Postby teddy » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:38 pm

If you mean the cool white ones i see the point, but warm white shouldn't be too harsh? I don't know if they make warm white pucklights though. You might consider using dimmers aswel, they cost next to nothing, and late at night it might be easier on your eyes after sitting in the dark.
teddy
Donating Member

Postby Socal Tom » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:05 pm

I use this
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20119418/

I removed the transformer and wired it direct to my battery, for a low power light source. The color is adjustable, so if the bugs are out you can use red, which doesn't attract them.
Tom
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby Diemjoe » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:20 pm

Thanks, I forgot all about Ikea's lighting center. And I have been looking to restock on meatballs and gummi fish.
Don Miller
Seattle
Trippinwithdon.com
Diemjoe
Teardrop Master

Postby Diemjoe » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:22 pm

Actually, Now that I am thinking about the Sink I bought from them. Ikea stuff can be a little weird when it comes to fitting and sourcing parts. I will have to check to see that they are standard light bulbs and such. Sadly there isn't an Ikea on every corner.
Don Miller
Seattle
Trippinwithdon.com
Diemjoe
Teardrop Master

Postby tlsallada » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:10 pm

There's several different color temps of LED lights. The one that closely resembles incandescent is 'warm' white and the brighter, whiter one you describe is 'cool' white. Whichever one you pick is a preference best left to you!! I used the 'cool' white just because I like how it really lights up both the interior and the galley of my teardrop.
Click on the link below to see the $8.99 version I used which I find to work really well. A single unit lights up my galley very well. I have two of them on the interior, one on the ceiling and one as a reading lamp.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RV-Interior-Led ... 35cb2d518c

terry
tlsallada
Teardrop Builder

Postby ryuandwings » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:30 pm

You may have it figured out now, but this is what I did.

Fixture is a plain trailer dome light I found at eTrailer.com. It comes with incandescent bulb (A1156), but I replaced with LED. You can use whatever temperature LED to your liking.

I positioned there so lights are moreless angled toward galley but at the tip of hatch so they cover more area.

The downside is that when I stand at the galley, lights cast shadow on the countertop. It's not that bad, but I will probably add strip LED near the hatch hinge more like task lighting.
ryuandwings
Teardrop Master

Postby Shadow Catcher » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:36 pm

We have two puck lights under the over head cabinet above the sink and one marine grade fixture on the side wall next to the stove which is a warmer color temperature.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Kharn » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:14 pm

I went with a single large puck light on the hatch, I used one that has a double pole switch and both red & white LEDs. It's much easier on the eyes and attracts less insects when using the red mode.
Kharn
500 Club

Return to Electrical Secrets