Electrical grounds

Anything electric, AC or DC

Electrical grounds

Postby STORMRIDER151 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:41 pm

I have completed running all the electrical components on my build. I hope. I put a Progressive Dynamics converter in the trailer and tested all outlets and installed devices. I had to replace a GFI outlet that was bad other than that everything checks out just fine. My question is. I have not grounded anything to the trailer frame except the running lights. 12 volt I'm using battery ground and for the 120 the ground from the plug. I'm hoping this is just fine but thought I would ask before closing things up . Thanks for the help.
STORMRIDER151
Teardrop Builder

Re: Electrical grounds

Postby GuitarPhotog » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:32 pm

You should ground the green wire of your 120VAC circuitry to the trailer chassis. Good practice and the electrical code require this. This is in addition to any use of the chassis as a 12VDC return (ground) for trailer lighting.

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby H.A. » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:12 am

I will add to above by saying be sure all metallic structures be electrically bonded together.

Example, chassis & house cladding. If they are isolated by wooden members, a bonding conductor should be installed.
A dedicated bonding conductor while still a good idea, its not really needed if bonding is attained through multiple secure connection by screws or the like.

Most important, never 'plug in' without verifing correct voltage, wiring & grounding of the receptacle.
Even if your trailer is perfect its all for nought if you connect to an improper outlet.
H.A.
The 300 Club

Postby Dale M. » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:53 am

So a lot of text does not have to be repeated....

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=60617

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby STORMRIDER151 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:03 am

Thanks for the replies they are appreciated. I opened the access panels for my wiring and I can't seem to find a green wire that would connect to the trailer frame. So I went to my travel trailer and looked at it's wiring and could not find where the trailers 110 is grounded to the trailer frame either. I apologize for the fact that I'm something of a mental midget when it comes to electrical wiring. I did do my homework on this before I started though and in as much as everything test's as correct wouldn't I have found a problem in the testing? I used a circuit tester and also performed a load test on each outlet. I went a little over board with the wiring. Each outlet is GFI protected and every light, socket and fan is on it's own fused circuit using 10 ga wire. It's all LED. What is the purpose of grounding to the frame? The trailer is all wood using screws and glued.
STORMRIDER151
Teardrop Builder

Postby George Taylor » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:49 pm

Where ever the ground wires are connected in the power converter/inverter are connected, attach a ground wire (green or bare) and attach to the frame. Just make sure the grounds and neutral (white wires) are separate.
George Taylor
Teardrop Master

Return to Electrical Secrets