Portable generator safe location for running

Anything electric, AC or DC

Portable generator safe location for running

Postby Steve W » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:53 am

I have an issue, that I would like to get some input about. Earlier I was wondering about a generator problem of being out in the elements and such. But I have somewhat come to the conclusion that with the small space of the cargo rack of my small trailer, there was not a good way of protecting it. So I have decided to just leave it uncovered.
So, now I have put a lexan bottom on the carrier and have just strapped and cabled it to the carrier. As you can see from the pics, I have made up a heavy duty extension cord that runs from the generator and zip tied to the frame to the electrical connection on the trailer. So that if I need to run the generator while on the road, or just need to heat up a dinner, or make some coffee, or heat up some water for bathing in the microwave I can just go out and pull the rope and start it up without having to unstrap and unlock it to move it away from the trailer.
Now.....I was wondering if that would be safe as far as carbon monoxide is concerned. As you can see in the pics, the exhaust is pointed to the side away from the trailer, and over 5 1\2 feet from the window. And of course the trailer would be out side and not in a garage as pictured when running.
Attachments
IMG_20150414_162809169_HDR (Mobile).jpg
IMG_20150414_162809169_HDR (Mobile).jpg (179 KiB) Viewed 2894 times
IMG_20150414_132641995_HDR (Mobile).jpg
IMG_20150414_132641995_HDR (Mobile).jpg (185.59 KiB) Viewed 2896 times
IMG_20150414_162248752_HDR (Mobile).jpg
IMG_20150414_162248752_HDR (Mobile).jpg (195.99 KiB) Viewed 2896 times
Steve W
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Portable generator safe location for running

Postby teddy » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:13 am

I'm no expert, but i cant imagine this setup would be a problem. The "clean" air around it would dilute the CO so much. Same as a car exhaust, it's a few feet from the doors/trunk, but even when stationary, it would't kill you.
teddy
Donating Member

Postby mustangcats » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:56 pm

Just to be safe, I'd put a carbon monoxide detector inside the trailer.
mustangcats
Silver Donating Member

Postby Steve W » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:14 pm

Yes, on a car it is not a problem. But the exhaust on the car goes straight out the back of the vehicle. On this, it is blowing out the side. But I can see your reasoning. I did run it to check out the vibration aspect of it, and it is not bad. But I wouldn't be sleeping with the AC on for fear of Carbon monoxide. If I run it for brief periods, I will still have a Carbon monoxide detector to monitor things. And the jury is still out on that, because I am still not sure I will even run it for that. Carbon monoxide is very dangerous and can knock you out in seconds. Before you know, it has you, and you don't have time to respond, especially trying to get out of one of these tiny things. I have a little difficult time getting in and out of it when I am at myself. I don't think I would make it out if I were groggy from Carbon monoxide poisoning.
Thanks for your response.
Steve W
Teardrop Inspector

Postby MtnDon » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:30 pm

Document about generators from NIST (National Institute of Standards and Technology)

a couple of quotes.....

"Up to half of the incidents of non-fatal carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning reported in the 2004 and 2005 hurricane seasons involved generators run within 7 feet of the home"

"While some guidance recommends 10 feet from open windows as a safe operating distance, NIST researcher Steven Emmerich says the “safe” operating distance depends on the house, the weather conditions and the unit. A generator’s carbon monoxide output is usually higher than an automobile’s, he says, because most generators do not have the sophisticated emission controls that cars do."

“We found that for the house modeled in this study,” researcher Leon Wang says, “a generator position 15 feet away from open windows was not far enough to prevent carbon monoxide entry into the house.”

Now you can decide if you can live with that arrangement.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby rowerwet » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:31 pm

The easy answer is to attach a 15 foot hose to the exhaust, put the end far away when running. They do this on the stationary equipment at work. They use a flexible plastic hose larger than the exhaust pipe, it sucks cooler air in with the exhaust so it doesn't melt the pipe.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby Steve W » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:27 pm

You are right Don, co is dangerous and can kill you if it builds up to high enough concentrations. I will only be using the generator for 5-10 minutes in this way, to heat something up quickly in the microwave, use the coffee maker, or heat some water up in the microwave to clean up or get ready in the mornings. I have ordered a co detector alarm and it will be her in a couple days and I will be installing it on the inside wall in the best position for it to work efficiently. The exhaust is pointed out to the side of the trailer and is about 5 1\2 feet from the window. I will NOT be using the AC when the generator is on the cargo carrier, I will take it off the carrier and move it to the front of my tow vehicle and cable lock it to the front wheel and point the exhaust out into the front of the vehicle also.
Thank you for bringing that to my attention and warning me.
Steve W
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Steve W » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:37 pm

Here's what I came up with on the generator thing. I was concerned on how to keep the generator from the elements, secure, and still have easy access to use it fast and easy when I needed it.

So, I had this Rubbermaid trash can (I say had because it is no longer a trash can...or at least not the same trash can that it once was), that was around here that was made obsolete when they changed the way they pick up the trash cans.
Anyway....I looked at it, then looked at the generator. So I got out the measuring stick and started comparing the dimensions. As you can see in the pics, it was a perfect fit..... after cutting the bottom off to the right height.

Now, this way, I can just go out, unhook the bungee cord, very easily lift off the lid, then the bottom, plug in the cord, and start it up. The generator is strapped on like before and cable locked to the the cargo carrier. The trash can cover fits very easily over the whole thing because it flexes and forms around the generator, straps, and locking cable. So simple, I am amazed at how simple this was.

Here is a link to some more detailed pics of it.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=E ... lder%2cjpg
Attachments
IMG_20150416_165859921_HDR (Mobile).jpg
IMG_20150416_165859921_HDR (Mobile).jpg (203.87 KiB) Viewed 2786 times
IMG_20150416_145419977 (Mobile).jpg
IMG_20150416_145419977 (Mobile).jpg (216.71 KiB) Viewed 2786 times
IMG_20150416_141126972 (Mobile).jpg
IMG_20150416_141126972 (Mobile).jpg (186.35 KiB) Viewed 2786 times
Steve W
Teardrop Inspector

Postby MtnDon » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:33 pm

I like that much better than leaving the gen out in the elements all the time.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Wobbly Wheels » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:48 pm

I don't have the numbers in front of me, but the marine 'code' for heater exhaust (Webasto, Espar, etc) placement with respect to cabin entry points is measured in inches, not feet. The other thing to note is that pure CO has almost exactly the same specific gravity as air so, when heated to exhaust gas temps, it's continually trying to rise vertically from the exhaust outlet. If the wind is strong enough to affect that, it's certainly strong enough to dilute it.

The other point is that CO is more of a cumulative toxin than an acute one, especially given any possible exposure we're talking about here. Sleeping in a cabin with a running genny is a far different scenario than what you suggest. The suggestion about a CO monitor is always a good one if you have combustion appliances running inside an accommodation space.

If you're running the genny for a few minutes at a time as you suggest, it's simply not possible for the exhaust to travel 5 1/2' aft and 1-2' up to get into the window...never mind doing so in anywhere near enough concentration to do anyone any harm. They stow these things in the bellies of RVs right underneath the berths.
As long as you are not sharing the compartment with the exhaust outlet nor the combustion air inlet (which you're not), you're fine for what we're talking about here.
Wobbly Wheels
Donating Member

Postby Steve W » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:35 am

Thank you Wobbly Wheels, for that enlightenment. And, yes, I do remember that when I owned a class a motor home (1992 Southwind) that the generator was located directly under the bedroom window. The exhaust was pointed straight out away from there. I had a co detector and it only went off when the water heated malfunctioned. So what you say makes sense.
Steve W
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Electrical Secrets