Percolator cord

Anything electric, AC or DC

Percolator cord

Postby takoeller » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:38 pm

I heard many of you use a percolator for camp hot water so I rediscovered an old one in my basement but the cord was dangerously frayed. I bought one that said "appliance" cord with the same two pin connections that fit at ACE Hardware, but it's only 2' in length and the cord seems to get hot when I plug it in and it starts heating the water. The cord is 18/2. Does anyone have any idea if 18/2 is what it's supposed to be for these 32 cup percolators? Mine is a Regalware, I believe?--looks Midcentury, like a rocket ship with 3 wood handles around it. I can't find any info for it online. Thanks ahead!
takoeller
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Percolator cord

Postby MtnDon » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:05 pm

How many watts is it? Personally I think 18 gauge is on the light side. Our 1500 watt electric kettle uses 16 gauge and it only 2.5 feet long. The wires are kept short to help limit voltage drop and heating of the cord itself.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby H.A. » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:18 pm

You will need to know how much current this perculator draws.
There should be a nameplate on that appliance what might express that value in watts or amps.
Without that, its a job for an ampmeter to determine.

Fwiw, max capacity on 18 awg is 13-16 amps depending on insulation type.
I expect your purcolator will be drawing somewhere around 10-12 amps.
Thats close to maximum of 18 awg. No wonder it feels 'hot' as you say.

You might check if the 2 contact pins are clean & shiny. That may help some with reducing the felt heat of your appliance cord.
H.A.
The 300 Club

Postby bobhenry » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:49 am

Time to take a trip to Goodwill. You can buy the 32 cup coffee maker and cord for (most times) less than $5.00. You now have a back up pot and a good cord. While I never actually looked at the rating I am all but certain the cords on the dozen or so I have bought for friends and fellow campers were all 12 -2. That 18 gage is tiny!

If the female plug on the cord is not a molded one piece you could get some heavier cord and put that end on a slightly longer heavier gage cord.

Last edited by bobhenry on Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:59 am

Picked these up at a yard sale for $3.00 each.................

bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Dale M. » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:53 am

Just my thinking process, but 18ga seem pretty light... I personally would prefer a 12 or 14 gauge cord...

I must have at least 3-4 cords in drawer as spares as peculators die but cords do not seem to... And every new peculator seems to have a shorter cord....

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby takoeller » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:42 am

I don't see a name plate anywhere on here. I think I am going to rewire to 12/2 just to be sure. It looks like the end piece has screws so it should be easy enough. That way I could have a little longer cord as well. Maybe a foot longer. I will also look for another but this one is stainless steel and just so darn cool looking. :)

Does everyone have an exterior cord on theres? I may try to do that just in case I leave it uncovered overnight. (not plugged in of course)

Thanks for all of the advice!
takoeller
Teardrop Inspector

Postby bobhenry » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:08 am

Yep stainless is kool :thumbsup:

This one of mine has 8 years and several thousand miles on it. It has served gallons and gallons of hot coffee, hot tea, hot mulled cider and hot chocolate. It has warmed water for a quick sponge bath and provided hot water for dish washing. It is a "don't leave home without it" appliance when on site electric is available.

I did a little surfing and the 32 - 40 cuppers run between 900 and 1500 watts depending on the recovery time. The quick heat units crowd the 1500 watt rating.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Return to Electrical Secrets