Power center vs individual parts

Anything electric, AC or DC

Power center vs individual parts

Postby TNSean » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:21 pm

My understanding is a power center, such as a pd 4045, is a converter/charger, AC panel and DC panel all in one unit. If I didn't use a power center, but wanted the same capabilities, I would have to use the same parts but individually.

If I am correct in my understanding, is there any reason to not go with a power center if you are starting from scratch?

I am designing my electrical system and slowly getting a handle on the design. It is going to be on the basic side.

AC plug in for shore power or generator, battery charger, 2 110v outlets, 12 volt led lights, (hatch, cabin, reading and porch), 12v plugs, fan, tv and stereo with a 100 ah battery. I am also going to set it up for a future solar panel and a small portable DC frig like the dometic units.
TNSean
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Power center vs individual parts

Postby GuitarPhotog » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:02 pm

The only downside to a power center/converter such as the PD4045 is that if one part, the charger, fails, you have to disconnect all your circuits and have no power until repairs are made. This happened to me when I had a WFCO 8735, which failed twice. But the PD boxes have proven to be very reliable, and they save a ton of wiring interconnect issues when you are setting up your trailer electrical system.

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:38 pm

We had a problem with our PD power center (it had been hooked up wrong at the factory, not PD) and it failed. I called PD on a Tuesday afternoon and had the replacement head unit the next morning by FedEx. and I have yet to hear of any problems any one has had.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby lrrowe » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:41 pm

I have not yet hooked mine up, but I bought it based on the many good things said about it in this forum and because for me, it will simplfy the whole wiring process. And you can shop around for the best price.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby noseoil » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:45 am

After reading about the reliability issue, I stayed away from the WFCO 8735 & went to the PD4045 for my build. I'm still plowing through the construction phase & not ready for the power unit yet, but it's built into the design & will be very easy to maintain & work with if I need to upgrade or modify my electrical system at a future date.

Last fall I went to a meet in Flagstaff (Arizona) & met a builder who is doing a nice job on some woodie type trailers (guy named Wolfie). He showed me his power setup in the tongue box and just shook his head. He had done a very nice job on it, but said that for the money, time & aggravation involved, he was sorry he didn't go to a ready-made unit to begin with. It would have been cheaper, faster & easier to buy a unit & just hook it up than what he had done. His modular approach was working well enough, but it took more space, weighed more & was a PITA to wire & build. It took about 4 times as much room in the box as a manufactured power supply would have.

Made my decision much easier.
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby TNSean » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:39 pm

After some research on cost to set up all individual systems I am coming to the same conclusion.

I am going to use a pd 4045.

Probably install it in the rear/under hatch with access from the galley lower cabinets on the street side so it is close to the shore power connection. I will probably have to put the battery on the front tongue though for weight distribution. Thinking of running the wires under neath the trailer from battery to pd4045.
TNSean
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Shadow Catcher » Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:13 pm

Here is ours under the stove along with the Morningstar PM1 meter for the solar controller and remote readout for the Progressive Industries EMS switches etc.

Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Heyman71 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:45 pm

Right now I use a computer power supply which is cheap enough because they can be picked up anywhere. They come with thermal protection and reverse polarity protection. Thing is it doesn't have smart charging for battery. I'm looking to add a power center now for battery charging capabilities. Trying to justify the upgrade because what I have works OK. Not sure if I want to add a cheap

Heng's Elixir: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005F32LD6/ref ... ords=HG+12

OR go with the simple which is like a computer power supply except adds 3 stage charger but mounts anywhere.

Powermax design: http://www.amazon.com/Powermax-Supply-C ... s=powermax

Thoughts??
Heyman71
Teardrop Inspector

Postby lrrowe » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:51 pm

If it were me, I would choose the second one of these two choices. But it costs $98. For $62 more, you get a complete assembly in the PD4045 and perhaps a much simplier job to complete.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:45 pm

The Elixier has a poor reputation and the Powermax does not have a reputation, good or bad. Both are made in China. PDs are US
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby zroadhouse » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:07 am

I have the same question (power center vs components) and am at that point in my build where I need to make some decisions.

I already have a 30-amp AC distribution box installed and wired to my inlet, exterior outlet, and roof-top A/C. I'm not eager to redo that work. I want to provide DC power for the fan, lights and outlets. I currently don't have any battery capacity.

My options:
  • PD4045 - I could install as a sub-panel and use it for DC and charging -- or I could remove my current 30-amp box and re-route the wiring to the PD4045 *shudder*
  • Deep cycle batteries + Converter/Charger + DC Fuse Block - (like the above PowerMax + Blue Sea Fuse Block) - Would give me DC power without the generator
  • Computer power supply (use one of my extras) + DC Fuse Block - Would only give me DC power when the generator is running
  • Same as above but + Deep cycle batteries + Optimate Battery Tender (already owned)

Thoughts?
zroadhouse
Teardrop Master

Postby GuitarPhotog » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:36 am

You can't use that computer power supply to charge a battery. Wrong voltage.

if you already have 120 VAC wired in, I would do your second plan. Put in a smart battery charger and 12 VDC fuse block.

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby TNSean » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:55 pm

I agree with that. Run a 12v system and then use a stand alone smart battery charger that you can plug into an outlet and hook up to the battery.

It will work just like the PD 4045, just not all in one box.

If I already had some parts or a charger, this is exactly what I would do.
TNSean
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Electrical Secrets