Wiring plans for my CTC

Anything electric, AC or DC

Wiring plans for my CTC

Postby zroadhouse » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:18 pm

Just wanted to run my wiring plan by the group.

I have:
* 30amp AC panel installed along inlet, an exterior outlet, wiring for a roof-top AC

I want to add:
* Deep cycle battery (probably 85ah AGM-type)
* Progressive Dynamics (PD9245CV) 45 Amp Power Converter with Charge Wizard
* Victron BMV-700 battery monitor
* Blue Sea Systems 5025 ST Blade Fuse Block - 6 Circuits with Negative Bus and Cover
* Blue Sea Systems m-Series Mini On-Off Battery Switch with Knob, Black (for a master switch)
* Blue Sea Systems Dual USB Charger Socket (x2)
* Blue Sea Systems 12 Volt Dash Socket (x2)

I've been drawing it up in SchemeIt and have a decent first draft (doesn't show connection of the Victron):

I need to figure out:
  • whether or not there is any interface between the tow vehicle and the trailer system (battery isolator?)
  • whether or not to remove the existing small breakaway battery for the brakes and use the house battery
  • how to properly tie in my fan and lights which are pre-wired to the 12v power pin on my 7-pin trailer plug
  • what gauge wire to I use from the battery to my master switch (at least 8 - the run from the tongue to the panel is probably 5-6')
  • how I want to build out the electrical "cabinet" (I have a good space in my kitchen cabinet)

Sigh - the details seem to never end! Comments/suggestions?
zroadhouse
Teardrop Master

Re: Wiring plans for my CTC

Postby H.A. » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:37 pm

Looks good so far as one line drawings go.

Maybe you already realise this but its not reflected on the one line..
You might split up your 120vac beyond the 30amp main into at least two 15 or 20 amp circuits, Three would be better.

As far as isolating its house battery from the car, There are valid reasons to do it or not, Choice is yours.
Connecting the car battery directly to the house battery when towing is decades old proven simple method. But for example can result in a dead car battery if car is forgotten to be disconnected when using the trailer for extended times. Solidstate or relay based isolation alleviates the dead car scenario.

Were it mine, I would remove the breakaway battery, powering those brakes from the house. Its less to maintain, Breakaway batteries tend to be neglected, then dead during that off chance its needed.
(you can also use breakaway as a temporary parking brake...Either pull the pin or add another switch to actuate, but be cautious before its done until you verify backfeeding power to your brakes controller causes no harm.)

8awg from the battery should be fine, Unless you add lots more 12v stuff, You are about 5 amps max worth of stuff showing... Another 7 amps or so for breakaway brakes...
H.A.
The 300 Club

Postby zroadhouse » Fri May 01, 2015 12:04 am

Thanks for the feedback!

My exterior GFCI outlet is on a 20amp circuit. The A/C is on a 15amp. And the interior outlets will be on another circuit. I think I'm ok there.

When I'm at the track with the trailer, I'm likely to have a number of phones, cameras, etc plugged in to DC. I'm also thinking about putting in a stereo - though it's not high on my list right now. I was guessing somewhere around 4-8 Amps draw under normal usage (fan on, a couple of phones charging, etc) so a 85ah battery should be enough to get through a mild texas night without firing up the generators.
zroadhouse
Teardrop Master

Postby zroadhouse » Fri May 01, 2015 4:48 pm

Is an automatic charge relay (https://www.bluesea.com/products/7610/SI-ACR_Automatic_Charging_Relay_-_12_24V_DC_120A) a form of battery isolator?
zroadhouse
Teardrop Master

Postby H.A. » Fri May 01, 2015 5:50 pm

zroadhouse wrote:Is an automatic charge relay (https://www.bluesea.com/products/7610/SI-ACR_Automatic_Charging_Relay_-_12_24V_DC_120A) a form of battery isolator?

This Blue Sea thing is a battery isolator. I expect it would work fine.
(it seems to be intended where house batteries are not normally detached from the system, But I dont think that would cause it any problem. )

This device installs in your car, gives the same isolation result.
Amazon, about 1/10 the pricetag...Cole Hersee 24059-BP
Its also more recognised as method of car to trailer battery isolation.
H.A.
The 300 Club

Postby MtnDon » Fri May 01, 2015 5:57 pm

Cole Hersee 24059-BP

It's perfect. I have one.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby zroadhouse » Fri May 01, 2015 8:33 pm

Thanks! I'll add that to my cart - along with an LP/CO detector.
zroadhouse
Teardrop Master

Postby zroadhouse » Sat May 02, 2015 10:27 am

I came across this page while looking for images of DC wiring of fuse blocks and think that their layouts are a thing of beauty:
http://www.donatmarinesolutions.com/idividualized-electronic-fuse-blocks.html
zroadhouse
Teardrop Master

Postby zroadhouse » Sat May 02, 2015 7:48 pm

The power pin on my trailer harness (used to charge the breakaway battery) is only hot when the key is on - does that mean I still need the solenoid?
zroadhouse
Teardrop Master

Postby Dale M. » Sun May 03, 2015 7:58 am

zroadhouse wrote:The power pin on my trailer harness (used to charge the breakaway battery) is only hot when the key is on - does that mean I still need the solenoid?

No, addition solenoid or relay is not needed.... You are good ....

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby H.A. » Sat May 09, 2015 3:37 pm

zroadhouse wrote:I came across this page while looking for images of DC wiring of fuse blocks and think that their layouts are a thing of beauty:
http://www.donatmarinesolutions.com/idividualized-electronic-fuse-blocks.html

My fingers hurt looking at all those Tyraps ! String tied hurts all the more,,,
Nice looking work for sure,
But its a double edge also.
There is line between good work and doing too good.
Somethings will need that extra level of security & fire resistance, Aircraft, Some marine vessels for example..
But its a real pita to take that apart to reconfigure for the latest electro-dohickee or diagnose problems.
Many of our trailers are perpetual work in progress.
H.A.
The 300 Club

Postby lrrowe » Sat May 09, 2015 4:29 pm

While not to that level,of perfection, that is what I hope to aspire to, but at a more subdued level.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby zroadhouse » Sat May 09, 2015 10:25 pm

Here's another link to ponder (while all my electrical parts are spread out on my dining room table waiting for the trailer to get back from the shop with the air conditioner installed).

http://m.instructables.com/id/Desktop-P ... /?ALLSTEPS

I've been thinking and re-thinking my power layout and now feel like I'm going to mount my outlets in surface mounted boxes above the counter-top. To avoid them looking like crap, I am going to build some 2+ gang boxes using a similar idea to the article above.
zroadhouse
Teardrop Master

Postby H.A. » Sat May 09, 2015 11:21 pm

zroadhouse wrote:Here's another link to ponder
http://m.instructables.com/id/Desktop-P ... /?ALLSTEPS
I've been thinking and re-thinking my power layout and now feel like I'm going to mount my outlets in surface mount

By chance you not aware, Wiremold surface mount electrical boxes of various size & configuration.
Maybe a bit costly for some folks but thats a ready made clean appearance solution to surface mounitng.
Also dont overlook the Plugmold products. Clean & low profile surface mount method for multiple receptacles.
H.A.
The 300 Club

Postby zroadhouse » Sat May 09, 2015 11:23 pm

I'll look into them. An advantage of the method I mentioned is that there will be a nice place on top to place cell phones and go pros while they are charging. :)
zroadhouse
Teardrop Master

Return to Electrical Secrets