Batteries, Chargers, and Converters

Anything electric, AC or DC

Postby madjack » Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:15 pm

Rob, like I said...that PDF is pretty confusing when trying to extract info...they do say 6A and sometimes 5A...the 70watt reading could be anywhere from 5/6A depending on the voltage output...needless to say it is somewhere between 5 and 6 amps...hope it works out OK for the TV...let us know
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Sonetpro » Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:31 pm

Rob,
I think I would use a small inverter. Wouldn't have to be very big with that small amp draw.
}><)))'> ~--------------·´¯) SteveT
You don't know what the limit's are until you take it there.ImageImageImage
Sonetpro
Site Admin

Postby GeorgeTelford » Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:42 am

Hi Sonetpro

You nearly had me there, but if the charger is on then mains is available, if mains is available then why run the TV from anything else........

:thinking: Only kidding.....

Yes the smallest invertor would do the trick, but will cost 10% more in power.

Sometimes the answer is not so clear cut, I think I would prefer to chance running the TV on "12V" My first post in this is only a heads up of a possible problem due to the common mostake of assuming that a battery is 12volts, what we need to remember is that its 12v in name only...
GeorgeTelford
500 Club

Postby Sonetpro » Thu Dec 22, 2005 5:48 am

Hi George,
I agree, but is shore power availiable all the time? Most electronics do not like voltage fluctuations. A few month's ago the grid I am on lost a transmission leg on the main grid. The result was When all my lights dimmed I went out to the breaker box to see if was my house, I measured each leg and was getting 47v where I should have been getting 120v. I didn't get a lot of damage. but the brown out did smoke the power supply in my computer.
Yes it might work fine on shore power or fully charged battery's. What I would be concerned about is an extended stay and the voltage dropping.
with an inverter the inverter would draw the increased amp draw and not the electronics. As you know less voltage = increased current.

Watts 12.6
Volts 11
Amps 1.4545

Watts 12.6
Volts 15
Amps .84
Sonetpro
Site Admin

Postby GeorgeTelford » Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:50 am

Hi Sonet

Without shorepower it would probably run off "12v" OK, with shore power if you didnt want to be swapping over from 12v to Mains, the higher voltage from chargingmay be of concern.

Invertor is pretty safe solution. Its only the perversaty of running it when you have mains available thats weird...

on 12v Only you are losing a little power to invertor, but if charger is on via shore that small loss not worth worrying about.
Last edited by GeorgeTelford on Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
GeorgeTelford
500 Club

Postby Sonetpro » Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:03 am

Agreed George, does seem silly to go 120v AC to 14.5v DC (converter) to 120v AC (inverter) and back down to 12v DC (power supply).
Sonetpro
Site Admin

Postby 48Rob » Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:24 am

Steve, George, and all,

Now I'm confused...

When I posted that the voltage on the TV tag stated 100-240VAC. it was to give any possible info I could. (I was hoping someone would explain why that tag is there since it is a 12 VDC unit?)

The set came with a 120VAC-12VDC volt transformer.

There is no way I know of to hook the set to shore power, as it would be an incorrect voltage.

If I could just "plug it in" then there would be no problem or concern, except that it wouldn't work off the grid except with an inverter, which I did not want to use because of the extra cost, both monetary, and electrical reserve.

The idea with this trailer was to be able to run all onboard electrical appliances from the battery bank (excepting the A/C, which of course would plug in to shore power where available).

OR, is the idea here to run the transformer from the inverter to avoid the voltage fluctuation?

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby GeorgeTelford » Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:26 am

Hi Rob

It would be via an invertor, but if you never intend to use shore power when camping then I would stick with running it directly from the battery.

My only concern before was that if you were running via battery AND charging via shore power the extra voltage could do harm (ampage is drawn as required but overvoltage can do damage)
GeorgeTelford
500 Club

Postby rampage » Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:00 am

When using the Deltran as a power supply and charger , do you simply hook the deltran to the battery termanals or do you set it up like Kerrys schematics for the converter setup? :?
"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning"
rampage
Donating Member

Postby madjack » Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:45 am

Ramp, I have no idea of the proper "technical" answer but iff'n it were me, I'd just hook it to the batt tree and be done widit
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby 48Rob » Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:29 am

I hooked mine directly to the battery terminals.

Works great! :thumbsup:

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby rampage » Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:12 pm

thanks guys. that makes life a little bit easy on me.
"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning"
rampage
Donating Member

Previous

Return to Electrical Secrets