30A shore power inlet... Twist lock??

Anything electric, AC or DC

30A shore power inlet... Twist lock??

Postby lashlsufan » Thu May 07, 2015 8:06 am

I am looking to buy my 30 amp shore power inlet, but when looking all I really come across are the marine type with a twisting lock (NEMA L5-30R). However, I have seen several extension cords labeled for RV use that do not have the twist lock on them. Can these cords still be used with the twist lock power inlet, or does my cord have to have the twist lock on it? If anyone can give me some insight, or if you know of a power inlet that accepts the cords without the twist lock that would be great. I am coming along on my CTC-- ordered my PD4045 yesterday and am working on my wiring currently, so this will be something I need to order soon. I ask because the twist lock extension cords are almost twice as expensive. I know they have the adapters; however, after buying that and the regular extension cord, it would be the same price as buying the "correct" cord in the first place.

Plug I am looking at

Non-twist lock extension cord labeled for RV

Please let me know what sort of setup you have on your TD or CTC.

Thanks!
lashlsufan
Teardrop Inspector

Re: 30A shore power inlet... Twist lock??

Postby Dale M. » Thu May 07, 2015 8:28 am

Cord (plug) and socket (receptacle )have to match it's "twistlock to twistlock" or "straight to straight", there is no mixing here....

To my knowledge most camp ground receptacles are either 5-15r (5-20r) or 5-30r... If you use twistlock (locking) at trailer most likely you will either have to have a adapter at power pedestal or change cord end to have straight blade plug...

The less adapters and such the easier life is that being said, a set of adapters to match various campground configurations may not be bad idea...

Only question I have is do you really need 30 amp.... Fifteen or twenty amp wiring may be more than suffient...

http://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Wiring- ... Inlet.aspx

http://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Wiring- ... iring.aspx

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby dales133 » Thu May 07, 2015 9:22 am

If you look on amazon you can buy the plug on its own or on a short pigtail if you end up getting a twist lock.
I've just been through all this but it was double hard for me because I'm in Australia and everything there is uncommon here. I modified my twist lock 30amp 125v inlet to take a 15 amp local plug because it was to expensive in shipping but for you amazon should sort your probs.
Dales advice is sound too I'm only passing on my parts research I'm no electrician
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Thu May 07, 2015 9:34 am

I have the twist lock because it came with the trailer and yes I think you do want the 30A, depending. We have a plug in the side of the trailer for the AC and it is GFI protected. When in a campground with 120AC Nancy tends to cook with an electric fry pan, coffee maker... We also have a hot rod in the water heater at 425 W...

I want all the 120AC going through the Progressive Industries EMSHW30C Surge/voltage Protector other wise I could run a separate cord from the pedestal to the AC. Yes I am a bit paranoid about what goes into the tear power and water...
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby H.A. » Thu May 07, 2015 10:30 am

30 amp RV style inlets,They do exist.
Conntek sells a great variety of electrical connectors, adaptor cables and suchlike.
Conntek part nr. 80458-SQBK is a TT-30P inlet.
H.A.
The 300 Club

Postby lashlsufan » Thu May 07, 2015 10:31 am

Thanks for your replies. We were thinking of using the 30A plug since the property we own and intend to camp at mostly has a 30A electrical hookup existing.

It would be easier and probably sufficient to use a 15 or 20 amp; however, my husband is over-engineering everything, of course, and feels the 30A would be able to run everything necessary (air condition, hot plate, heater, tv, microwave, etc.).

Has anyone found a 30A non-locking receptacle on ebay or amazon? The ones I see appear to be for generators (plug looks funny). So I think I would need another adapter. the pig tail adapters that go from twist lock at the receptacle to non-locking on the end are pretty expensive, so by the time I bought the adapter and "regular" extension cord, it would be the close to the price of purchasing the extension cord with the correct end on it.
lashlsufan
Teardrop Inspector

Postby lashlsufan » Thu May 07, 2015 10:33 am

H.A. wrote:30 amp RV style inlets,They do exist.
Conntek sells a great variety of electrical connectors, adaptor cables and suchlike.
Conntek part nr. 80458-SQBK is a TT-30P inlet.

Thanks, I posted my previous reply before reading your post. I will look into these.
lashlsufan
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Electrical Secrets