Trailer Lights - Wiring Question

Anything electric, AC or DC

Trailer Lights - Wiring Question

Postby tucked » Wed May 13, 2015 9:20 pm

My new trailer... has the 4-flat wiring harness. Dog cheweed the wiring that was "dangling" while it was parked. Has anyone installed a Female end (4 round/7 round?) to the tow vehicle and the trailer and used a removable wiring between the two? Is this feasible? Eventual plans include some solar power... would it be better to use the 7 round now? Will I need it later?
tucked
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Trailer Lights - Wiring Question

Postby Socal Tom » Wed May 13, 2015 9:36 pm

I'm not sure I understand the question. I have used a round 7 on the TV, and a flat 4 with an adapter between the two. The flat 4 and round 7 are standard these days, I would stick with them.
It you just mean can you use TV ends on the TD with a male/male connector.
I don't see why not.
Tom
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby H.A. » Wed May 13, 2015 10:02 pm

tucked wrote:My new trailer... has the 4-flat wiring harness. Dog cheweed the wiring that was "dangling" while it was parked. Has anyone installed a Female end (4 round/7 round?) to the tow vehicle and the trailer and used a removable wiring between the two? Is this feasible? Eventual plans include some solar power... would it be better to use the 7 round now? Will I need it later?

This is standard configuration for transportation industry. The cable is plugged at both ends.
While you are at it, might as well scrap the wimpy 'flat four' and go for at least the RV type 7 pin connector.
H.A.
The 300 Club

Postby MtnDon » Wed May 13, 2015 10:15 pm

Re-doing that with a removable cord with plugs/sockets at each end is fine as far as I am concerned. My only caution about that is keeping track on yet another indispensable component. I have enough trouble keeping track of stuff as it is.

As for how many conductors that will vary with possible future uses. Six or seven pole connectors add cost if the extra connections are never used. If you want a future TV to TD connection to charge under tow, now would be the time to address that. Installation of solar should not be a factor as trailer solar usually has nothing to do with the TV.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby bobhenry » Thu May 14, 2015 6:07 am

tucked wrote:My new trailer... has the 4-flat wiring harness. Dog cheweed the wiring that was "dangling" while it was parked. Has anyone installed a Female end (4 round/7 round?) to the tow vehicle and the trailer and used a removable wiring between the two? Is this feasible? Eventual plans include some solar power... would it be better to use the 7 round now? Will I need it later?

I rented an auto transport from u haul last month. They have always had damage headaches on the car end that would get mashed and mangled under the jack and ran over and torn off. I noticed they finally installed a male and female "extention" cord. Now when it gets damaged they simply unplug , toss , and plug in a new one.

My dodge pickup came with a tow package which has a factory mounted 4 way and a 7 way port to plug into. I place a junction box on the tongue of my big trailer so I can plug in a 4 way or a 7 way end which are both installed on the trailer. I just tuck the 7 way in a small storage box when I use the 4 way. Why I did it is largely if a friend borrows it and only has a 4 way he still can have lights.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby tucked » Thu May 14, 2015 3:44 pm

Thank you all so much. I think I will wire the TV and trailer both with TV 7-round plugs and use a male to male cable.
tucked
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Electrical Secrets