Brake Controller Install 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee + Durango

Anything electric, AC or DC

Brake Controller Install 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee + Durango

Postby mclassing » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:43 pm

All,

I struggled to install a Tekonsha P3 brake controller on our 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee which does not include the factory towing package. I'll share what I learned here in hopes that someone can somehow benefit.

After installing a Curt # 56009 & Curt # 57624, we had a 7-way with functional brake, turn, and running lights. The # 56009 I received was a wee bit short for the 2012 JGC. I had to lengthen a pair of the wires to get it to reach completely to the other light. This may have since been updated.

I then ran two 8 AWG wires under chassis up under the hood employing the official Chrysler Tow Harness installation guide. These were run in 1/2 split loom available from Napa Auto Parts.

http://www.jegs.com/InstallationInstructions/200/293/293-82212196ab.pdf

One of the 8 AWG wires went through a solenoid. I chose this one...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001HC6UJ0?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

It is switched using the accessory position of the "Totally Integrated Power Module" using this little guy...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001QRSBW0?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s01

I know some here say the solenoid is unnecessary, but I don't have to worry about disconnecting the trailer when stopped with a dead/low house battery. This scenario could lead to a dead start battery in the TV The solenoid will "worry" about this for me.

The remaining 8 AWG wire gets run into the cabin through a fresh 3/8" whole through a new grommet along with 2 x 12 AWG power cables connected to the jump start posts under the hood. The positive connector should be run through a (not included) 20 or 30 Amp auto-reset breaker per the brake controller installation guide.

Finally, the brake controller was installed in the vehicle. By this time, I was running out of time and hired someone to do this. I could barely get to the brake switch which is located high under the dash. I learned in the first 10 seconds of being in his shop to remove the brake switch to make the necessary connections.

The final connection to the brake controller is the "stoplight" connection. Once you have the aforementioned brake-light switch removed from the bracket, you can tap the white/green strip wire (verify that there is 12 VDC present here only when the brake pedal is pushed). This white/green stripe wire connected to the red "stoplight" connection of our Tekonsha brake controller.

I hope this helps someone. For all the hassle, our next car will come equipped with the factory tow package. In leu of that, we should have had the official 7-way tow harness installed. This, as I understand, must be done or at least "activated" by the dealer.

These (rough) instructions should work for 2011, 2012, to??? Jeep Grand Cherokee and Dodge Durango vehicles.
mclassing
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Electrical Secrets