Indirect Lighting to Preserve Night Eyes

Anything electric, AC or DC

Indirect Lighting to Preserve Night Eyes

Postby mclassing » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:45 pm

My wife and I enjoy spending the greatest majority of an evening hanging out in the glow of a fire. When getting ready to go to bed, we find the (recently downgraded to type 906 LED) teardrop lights incredibly bright.

I found the following light strip on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005108J?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

The light brightness and color was right but there wasn't anywhere to adhere the lights that didn't shine directly in our eyes. The solution was to build a "valance light."

Here's what it looks like running...

This photo makes the light look brighter than it really is. This is more how the light looks in the camper...

Essentially this is a length of 1 x 2" Maple with some decorative cuts on the ends and a Ogee shaped edge. The real trick to getting the glow in the teardrop was to use a 90 degree router bit to cut a channel in the top of the wood. This points the LEDs at the ceiling at 45 degrees.

http://www.amazon.com/Freud-20-104-Diameter-90-Degree-V-Grooving/dp/B00004T7DZ/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1434307181&sr=1-1&keywords=90+degree+router+bit+1%2F4%22+shank&pebp=1434307185391&perid=BED98D9E9B1A41DAA746

An improvement that could be made is use an opaque piece of plastic to soften the LEDs against the ceiling. Without this, we ended up with six stronger pools of light. It isn't unpleasant.

Using the Antec light keeps things very simple as we use the USB charger most every night to charge our phones. The light itself has a power switch inline which we siliconed to the wall above the converter.

Hopefully someone finds this information useful.
mclassing
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Electrical Secrets