1000W portable generator or 90W solar panel

Anything electric, AC or DC

Re: 1000W portable generator or 90W solar panel

Postby ukewarrior » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:22 pm

I made a 70W folding setup for under $90.
You can get 35W panels, made in Taiwan, for about $45 a panel, shipped.
Here is who I bought from. If you bid $45, you are pretty sure to win the auction.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/35W-HYPOWER-Poly-Solar-Panel-RVs-Boat-Grade-A-Cells-/221828006793?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33a5fac389
bdosborn wrote:
Crabapple wrote:considering this...
http://www.northernfridge.ca/products/slp090f-12s

They're pretty proud of their 90W panel @ $430 $> . Have you considered making your own folding panel for a lot cheaper? It's pretty easy to do:

DIY Folding Panel

Here's some links to build your own 120W panel for less than half the price of the 90W.

(2) 60w panels for $156
Sunsaver controller $48

Bruce
ukewarrior
Donating Member

Postby dales133 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:17 pm

Solar panels should do the trick for you but the new Honda and yamaha genies are practically silent if your a few meters away so noise isn't realy an issue
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby OverTheTopCargoTrailer » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:36 pm

There is tear drop solar

& then there is OTTCT Tundra solar, 300 watt panel, 300 ah Lithium

Screen shot 2015-07-19 at 4.29.13 PM copy.png
Screen shot 2015-07-19 at 4.29.13 PM copy.png (135.05 KiB) Viewed 1519 times

Screen shot 2015-07-19 at 4.28.42 PM copy.png
Screen shot 2015-07-19 at 4.28.42 PM copy.png (165.17 KiB) Viewed 1519 times
OverTheTopCargoTrailer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby kVox42 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:16 pm

ae6black wrote:I have a 100 w Renogy Solar suitcase that seems to keep battery charged when using my refrigerator running on gas and camper interior lights. I am hoping to install led replacements if they get here tomorrow. Real test will come this week when I boondock for five days. I did it for two days and it kept my battery up during the memorial day weekend. The problem I have is that the controller for the solar panel isn't supposed to be left out in the rain. seems dumb to me to build something designed to be outside and not to have it so it can be left out in the rain.

Art

I can relate to your observation about the lack of weather proof charge controllers, and I have a related question. I'm looking at a variety of options to add some solar capability to my TD (which is under construction), but I have zero experience with solar. Regardless of which solar route I take (whether it be a packaged/suitcase option or the DIY route), I have a question for anyone who has some experience with this.

It appears that many of the charge controllers on the market are not weather proof (the Zamp Solar seems to be an exception; the controller is actually affixed to the frame of the panel). Assuming I want to put the charge controller inside the cabin - and out of the weather - I don't see that any of the branded "kits", (Zamp, Renogy, Grape, etc) or any DIY option address any kind of a port that would be installed on the wall of the trailer so the cable (coming from the solar panel) can be plugged into the port - and thereby to the charge controller on the other side of the wall??? The wiring for the other side of the controller would of course be integrated into the trailer's electrical system to charge the battery ... but what about the port? Any ideas on how to keep the controller inside the trailer and be able to plug into it from outside? I know putting the controller inside the box with the battery is one way to go but frankly I don't think that's a great solution since it's not going to be all that weather proof if I'm on the road in a driving rain. If keeping the controller dry is the issue, that's not an ideal solution. Is there a pre-made port to address something like this? (Of course, the more holes you put in any shell, the more potential leak issues you have, so there's that.)

Am I missing something? (other than brains I mean?)
Thanks for any advice or guidance. And thanks for the info posted here already. It's been really helpful.

Kevin
Raleigh, NC
kVox42
Teardrop Inspector

Postby bdosborn » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:28 pm

Moringstar Sunsaver controllers are completely potted and have marine rated terminals. I had one on the back of my panel for several years without any problems.

http://www.morningstarcorp.com/products/sunsaver-gen-3/

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby Crabapple » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:53 am

ae6black wrote:I have a 100 w Renogy Solar suitcase that seems to keep battery charged when using my refrigerator running on gas and camper interior lights. I am hoping to install led replacements if they get here tomorrow. Real test will come this week when I boondock for five days. I did it for two days and it kept my battery up during the memorial day weekend. The problem I have is that the controler for the solar panel isn't supposed to be left out in the rain. seems dumb to me to build something designed to be outside and not to have it so it can be left out in the rain.

Art

I just bought the same Renogy 100 W solar system and need to run some trials. I'm a bit concerned that my battery is 3 yrs old now. As far as the charge controller and rain, its tucked in out of the way pretty good I see. Taping some plastic over it should protect it from any splash back too I think
Crabapple
Teardrop Advisor

Previous

Return to Electrical Secrets