Incredibly lost

Anything electric, AC or DC

Incredibly lost

Postby jjshoe » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:13 pm

I have a 2011 Chevy Silverado 1500WT v6. It has a 7 blade connector, one blade provides 12v. I don't yet know if that's constant, or only when the ignition is on. Additionally, it's my understanding the newer vehicles, I believe mine included, has some sort of load sensing charge controller stuff. Essentially the alternator has three levels of charge, and it only bumps up to a specific level of charge based on sensing drain. I'm not sure if re-charging my house battery will work off that 12v blade connection without the smart sensing stuff?

I understand I need a breaker box for 120vac shore.
I understand I need a fuse box for 12vdc.

And now I'm lost.

Scenario:

1) While driving starting battery should charge house battery
2) When parked support shore power. Two 120vac outlets, charge house battery, power 12vdc accessories (can't they continue to pull from house battery?)
3) When parked support battery power. Only power 12vdc accessories (no need to convert to 120vac).

Which leaves me with another question, what do I need to buy to protect the battery/wiring/yadda if someone starts the truck, thus charging the house battery from 12vdc while still connected to shore power? In my mind a simple switch labeled "Shore power/Battery power" could be flipped, is that all there is to it?

Links to products on amazon/websites appreciated. Max load would be a ceramic heater, or an electric blanket (not both) and charging a laptop plus two cell phones at one time.
jjshoe
Teardrop Builder

Re: Incredibly lost

Postby tony.latham » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:29 pm

jjshoe wrote:I have a 2011 Chevy Silverado 1500WT v6. It has a 7 blade connector, one blade provides 12v. I don't yet know if that's constant, or only when the ignition is on. Additionally, it's my understanding the newer vehicles, I believe mine included, has some sort of load sensing charge controller stuff. Essentially the alternator has three levels of charge, and it only bumps up to a specific level of charge based on sensing drain. I'm not sure if re-charging my house battery will work off that 12v blade connection without the smart sensing stuff?

I understand I need a breaker box for 120vac shore.
I understand I need a fuse box for 12vdc.

And now I'm lost.

Scenario:

1) While driving starting battery should charge house battery
2) When parked support shore power. Two 120vac outlets, charge house battery, power 12vdc accessories (can't they continue to pull from house battery?)
3) When parked support battery power. Only power 12vdc accessories (no need to convert to 120vac).

Which leaves me with another question, what do I need to buy to protect the battery/wiring/yadda if someone starts the truck, thus charging the house battery from 12vdc while still connected to shore power? In my mind a simple switch labeled "Shore power/Battery power" could be flipped, is that all there is to it?

Links to products on amazon/websites appreciated. Max load would be a ceramic heater, or an electric blanket (not both) and charging a laptop plus two cell phones at one time.

JJ: I'd start reading through the electrical section. You'll find all your answers and then some: viewforum.php?f=30

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby jjshoe » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:04 am

tony.latham wrote:JJ: I'd start reading through the electrical section. You'll find all your answers and then some: viewforum.php?f=30

T

You realize this post is in the electrical section, right? I was unable to find answers for my specific setup, thus the post. Thanks though.
jjshoe
Teardrop Builder

Postby jjshoe » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:29 pm

jjshoe wrote:1) While driving starting battery should charge house battery

From other RV sites I've been able to find some information, not sure if it's correct or not:

1) Use the hot plug in my 7 blade connector to a battery isolator's in, run out to the battery. The switch input on the isolator should be the running lights.
2) 120vac into a surge protector into something like PD4045. PD4045 runs 12vdc circuts, and charges the battery. It can also run some 120vac circuts.
3) PD4045 takes care of this.

If someone starts the truck while plugged into shore power, and the truck, the following happens:
1) The PD4045 tries to charge the battery
2) The truck tries to charge the battery

Neither 1 nor 2 blow up, thankfully. No switch is needed it seems.
jjshoe
Teardrop Builder

Postby tony.latham » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:56 pm

JJ:

You can run the hot wire from your pigtail directly to the RV battery (just make sure you install an inline fuse near the post). Your truck probably has a disconnect that turns the power off (when the truck's off) between your starting battery and your RV battery –assuming it's a factory tow package.

You can check this with a voltmeter or continuity checker on your vehicle plug with the truck turned off. Otherwise, it's a good idea to unplug your towvehicle while camped so you don't draw your starting battery down in your tow vehicle.

I hope this releives some confusion. Sorry about the "check the electrical section" comment.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Dale M. » Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:39 am

My 2005 Chevy has 12 volt supply in 7 pin connector on all the time..... Actually thinking of making it under key control (add relay) ....

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby jjshoe » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:26 am

Dale M. wrote:My 2005 Chevy has 12 volt supply in 7 pin connector on all the time..... Actually thinking of making it under key control (add relay) ....

Dale

Thanks for the hint Dale. I'll verify on my truck and report back, I imagine it matches.
jjshoe
Teardrop Builder

Postby Padilen » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:00 pm

Have you checked to see if it's fused in main fuse box? I had a hot plug with key that fuse could be moved one leg over and be hot all the time. Would be great if that's all that was needed.
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby Dale M. » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:17 am

Should have a 40amp (square - green plugin) in main box under hood.... With a little adaption you can cut/splice and add relay into circuit, only problem is to find a circuit that is key controlled to activate relay, and yes there is about a million wires under dash and in fuse box...

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Return to Electrical Secrets