Solar

Anything electric, AC or DC

Solar

Postby GuitarPhotog » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:25 pm

I finally finished the solar PV system I began more than 18 months ago. I bought an 80 Watt, 12 V panel from Solar Blvd along with a Morningstar Sunsaver PWM controller. I used 25 ft of AWG 10 boat cable to connect the panel to the controller. After struggling to find a waterproof bulkhead connector rated at 10 Amps, I ended just poking a pigtail with the connectors out the bottom of the trailer.

Since this is a one-time deal, I didn't want to invest $45 in the proper crimping tool, so after carefully crimping the pin on the end of the wire with pliers, I soldered each connector. I have much more faith in my soldering ability than in my ability to improvise a crimp.

I put the panel out in the sun in the yard (the trailer is in the barn), and checked that the battery was charging and that all was well.

I'm off to Brian's Farm Gathering this weekend, so I'll report back how effective the system is in keeping me charged up.

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Re: Solar

Postby MtnDon » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:46 pm

:thumbsup:
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby GuitarPhotog » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:36 pm

After 2 weeks on the road, I can say the solar system is a complete success!

At the Farm Gathering, I was parked in full sun, so I just leaned the panel against the tongue and turned it a couple of times each day to follow the sun. The battery was fully charged by early afternoon each day.

At the Nelson City Park Campground, my site was in full shade, so I plugged the trailer into shore power. Took 75 feet of extension cord but we did it.

At Farragut State Park on Lake Pend Orielle in Idaho, my site was partially shaded all day, so I moved the panel around several times a day to follow the sun, and still had no problem recharging the battery each day.

Several people at the Farm Gathering asked "why such a big panel?" I replied that more surface is better, and a bigger panel would produce more power when partially shaded than a smaller one.

Thanks to Bruce and Mt. Don for their advice.

<Chas>
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby Madmike8 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:03 pm

GuitarPhotog wrote:I can say the solar system is a complete success!

It got off to a rocky start... But it's been chugging along since then... 24/7/365... :lol:
It's not about the Destination, It's all about the Ride!
Madmike8
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Greg M » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:15 am

I'm particularly fond of the third one out from the middle ;)

Glad to hear the system is working out so well for you.
Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach a person to use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks.
Greg M
*Geek Extraordinaire

Postby GuitarPhotog » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:28 am

Thanks!

I completely overlooked the solar system reference when I wrote it. Must be getting old.....

<Chas>
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby jonw » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:48 am

I have a 120w folding 2-panel suitcase style system purchased on sale from Solar Blvd. The controller failed which they replaced with a Phocos model free of charge. Works great and allows me stay off-grid indefinitely.

When not in use it travels in my car. In use I just position it in the sun anywhere near my teardrop (which can be parked in the shade).

It seems Solar Blvd doesn't sell these anymore but I have seen them on Amazon...
jonw
Titanium Donating Member

Return to Electrical Secrets