Electrical Problem

Anything electric, AC or DC

Electrical Problem

Postby Bdobbs86 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:08 pm

Hello everyone,

Posted in here a couple days ago and got some very prompt help. I'm hoping for the same. I'm running a very simple electrical system that is essentially like the post from Joanne on this page. 110 AH battery to master fuse/switch to Parallax circuit board to some outlets, a fan, and some dome lights. I was checking everything to make sure I understood how things worked and I wired it properly. Connected the fuse and the wires to the dome light. Connected the dome light. Success. Did this a couple different times as I checked out a few of the different outlets. Everything looked good. I went to permanently set it up just now and got it working. Went to connect the wires to the dome light and forgot the connectors. Went, grabbed connectors, and the whole system shut down. I can get the light to work if I just tap them to the battery tops. Same thing with the end of the battery wires that would be connected to the circuit board. But when I tap them on the circuit board to check there, I get no juice. I've tried using fresh wire, setting it up a few times, and I'm absolutely stuck. I can't get any sort of electricity from the circuit board whereas half an hour ago it was working just fine. Any thoughts? Preciate the help.
Bdobbs86
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Electrical Problem

Postby Shadow Catcher » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:51 pm

A VOM/multimeter is your friend and you do not even need an expensive one. Find where you do have current and follow it to where you don't. I have used mine in our tear for a number of faults including a dead converter.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Redneck Teepee » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:21 pm

Shawdow Catcher is correct and keep in mind that 90% of all electrical problems are grounding problems. Good Luck :D
I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction, the world will have a generation of idiot's.
Redneck Teepee
Silver Donating Member

Postby Bdobbs86 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:22 am

Thanks for the quick replies. After fiddling with it for another hour I figure out that the clip which connected the wire to the battery had come loose inside its handle so was not conducting a charge. BUT, this was only when it was rotated far enough for the wire to fit into the circuit board. When I just held it up, the wire was taut inside its handle so it was all good. Which raises a question for me, what do you prefer to use to attach the 8 gauge wire to the battery? Right now I've got some clips that I got from Lowes but after fiddling around today I imagine there's got to be a better option.
Bdobbs86
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Dale M. » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:56 am

By clips, I going to guess they are something spring loaded..... All connections should have properly done crimp on connectors on end of wires and connectors to battery connections should be proper bolt and nut with a conservative coating of dielectric grease to prevent corrosion....

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:27 pm

Some/many true deep cycle batteries have bolts for terminal attachment so I used gold plated ring terminals soldered and crimped.
There are battery clamps/quick connectors that will do the job.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Return to Electrical Secrets