How Did You Hook Up Your Roof Vent Fan?

Anything electric, AC or DC

How Did You Hook Up Your Roof Vent Fan?

Postby anon1 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:13 pm

Hello Everybody,

Say you've got a framed in opening in your roof, inner skin ceiling on, wires run through the roof cavity to the opening and through a hole in the framing which corresponds to the location where the wires come out of the actual vent/fan device. Obviously, you cannot make the electrical connection yet until the fan is ready to be put in place after the roof skin is on and finished.

Once you get the finished roof on you will set the vent/fan up there on the roof with its wires hanging down into the cabin and make the connections to the wiring that's in place. All that is left is to drop the vent into the opening and seal it up, cut the inner garnish ring down and possibly cut a narrow slot in it to allow it to slip up and around the wiring leads coming out of the fan.

What did you do with the connections, where did they go?
Did you leave the ceiling off and do that last?
(This goes against the suggested "from the inside out" method of assembly.)
Did you hollow out a little cavity in the side of the openings framing as a place to stash the connections?

:thinking:

Thanks for your help/advice.
anon1
Teardrop Advisor

Re: How Did You Hook Up Your Roof Vent Fan?

Postby dales133 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:25 pm

God question I've pondered this myself
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby anon1 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:05 pm

Hi Dales133,

If I only would have read more of my search results before posting my question.

On page 4 of the search results I finally found a post that suggests framing the opening oversized at 14 1/4" or 14 1/2" to leave a gap around the vent frame to stuff the connections up into. There are posts suggesting an opening bigger than 14" but most of them don't explain why to do that.

I framed my opening 14" square and I think will just make a little cavity in the side of the framing to hold the connections (unless someone posts a better solution).
anon1
Teardrop Advisor

Postby dales133 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:09 pm

Thanks for that.i can't recall exactly what size I made mine but it's probably 1/4 inch or so bigger I guess so I should be right
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby capnTelescope » Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:42 pm

I mounted my FanFan after ceiling, roof and roof skin were all on. As I recall, I didn't need to create any relief, which surprised me at the time. There was enough room on the wiring side to stuff the extra up in there.

Somehow, my roof vent install got done without any pix. :fb
I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

Brad
ImageImageImage

Building the Bed & Breakfast
capnTelescope
Lifetime member

Return to Electrical Secrets