Installation of RV Plug, Wire Runs?

Anything electric, AC or DC

Installation of RV Plug, Wire Runs?

Postby marant » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:47 pm

I am just beginning to build out my 8.5x18 car hauler and am considering electrical. I intend to have both AC and DC, with the ability to plug into either CG AC or a generator. Will probably use a PD 4045 to control everything. Do not intend to have an inverter onboard.

My CT has rounded corners in front, and is rounded at the side and front top edges. My idea is to mount the CG plug on the front left rounded corner, then run the main wiring up the corner to the top, then back around the top to where the controller is mounted. This will allow only one hole drilled in the 'top plate' for the mail line down to the controller. (I know I will need more holes for distribution wiring, but that is a later problem). Is there any way to run wires without drilling holes in the frame and still be able to mount the plywood on the walls?

Has anyone done it this way? I am concerned if I will have sufficient flat area in the exterior curve of the CT to allow the external plug mounting? I want to use this method since I have insulated the flat surfaces of the CT (top and sides), and want to use the curved areas as wire runs before they are insulated and finished with a valence. It seems to me this is the easiest way to be able to run wires wherever I need them on both sides of the CT, with a minimum of interference with either insulation or frame.

(The first image is of the top left corner of the CT, showing the horizontal run to the rear, the second is of the top front left corner, and the third is of the middle of the front left corner. I am not yet able to label the images directly :x )

Last edited by marant on Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
marant
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Installation of RV Plug, Wire Runs?

Postby Dale M. » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:22 am

marant wrote:I am just beginning to build out my 8.5x18 car hauler and am considering electrical. I intend to have both AC and DC, with the ability to plug into either CG AC or a generator. Will probably use a PD 4045 to control everything. Do not intend to have an inverter onboard.

My CT has rounded corners in front, and is rounded at the side and front top edges. My idea is to mount the CG plug on the front left rounded corner, then run the main wiring up the corner to the top, then back around the top to where the controller is mounted. This will allow only one hole drilled in the 'top plate' for the mail line down to the controller. (I know I will need more holes for distribution wiring, but that is a later problem). Is there any way to run wires without drilling holes in the frame and still be able to mount the plywood on the walls?

Has anyone done it this way? I am concerned if I will have sufficient flat area in the exterior curve of the CT to allow the external plug mounting? I want to use this method since I have insulated the flat surfaces of the CT (top and sides), and want to use the curved areas as wire runs before they are insulated and finished with a valence. It seems to me this is the easiest way to be able to run wires wherever I need them on both sides of the CT, with a minimum of interference with either insulation or frame.

(The first image is of the top left corner of the CT, showing the horizontal run to the rear, the second is of the top front left corner, and the third is of the middle of the front left corner. I am not yet able to label the images directly :x )

If you simply put a carriage return between each graphic insertion it will separate pics... Might also want to use IMG comment rather then ALBUM.... Labels are generally put on pics during upload... But you should be able to go to your gallery and edit/label then there...

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby marant » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:47 am

Thanks, Dale. Part of it fixed.
marant
Teardrop Inspector

Postby dales133 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:03 pm

I just did some wiring on mine and i drilled holes through the spars but i had toyed with they idea of routing channels through the tops of the spars and insulation to run them.
I did this on the walls in 2 areas and it worked well
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Return to Electrical Secrets