Solar charge controller question

Anything electric, AC or DC

Solar charge controller question

Postby GuitarPhotog » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:22 pm

I have an 80W PV panel connected to a Morningstar PWM charge controller. The battery output of the controller goes through a fuse to the battery. The load output of the controller is not connected.

I use a PD4045 converter/charger for DC power distribution. The DC input of the PD4045 is connected through a fuse to the battery.

Would I be better off connecting the PD4045 DC input to the Load terminals of the charge controller? What are the trade offs here?

Thanks

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Re: Solar charge controller question

Postby MtnDon » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:59 pm

GuitarPhotog wrote:
Would I be better off connecting the PD4045 DC input to the Load terminals of the charge controller? What are the trade offs here?

Thanks

<Chas>

No. The loads that a CC can control are generally limited to low amps, often the same as the overall CC rating, sometimes less. The demand on the PD 4045 DC circuits could easily surpass what the CC can handle.

I would not use the load terminals on the CC unless I had a specific need that the CC offers, such as turning a light on/off for night time. Or whatever else the particular CC can do. Varies between makes / models.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby troubleScottie » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:09 pm

The battery is connected to the solar controller via the battery connection. The solar panels through the controller is doing a DC to DC charge of the battery.

The other connections to the battery remain as if the controller was not there. Thus your PD is still connected to the battery as before. (in the diagram below, the inverter is the PD# )

When the solar panels are generating a charge, the power is going to either the battery and/or the TD load.

If there is no other load, the battery is the only thing receiving the charge. Hopefully, the controller is producing a regulated charge so the battery is not overcharged.

Michael Krolewski
Scottish Terrier Fancier
troubleScottie
Donating Member

Postby GuitarPhotog » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:24 pm

OK, that's what I thought. And how I wired it, but I just wanted to make sure.

Thank you both

<Chas>
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby Kaz » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:15 pm

Not sure about your controller but mine automatically switches output terminals when voltage drops, Nite lite feature turns on led night light on. No voltage must be dark. Remember dc power to controller before connecting solar panel, and reverse for shutting down. Not sure if thats the answer you were looking for, just my 2cents.
Kaz
Kaz
Silver Donating Member

Return to Electrical Secrets