Charging Batteries from TV when using PD4045?

Anything electric, AC or DC

Charging Batteries from TV when using PD4045?

Postby marant » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:06 pm

I am in the early stages of electrical planning for my 8.5/18 cargo trailer. I plan to use a PD4045 as my main electrical panel. The CT presently has a small battery (which is charged by the TV) to actuate the breakaway switch on the brake system. I plan to remove the small battery and use the large batteries I will install to actuate the breakaway switch, but need to know how to integrate the line from the TV with the battery charger built into the PD4045 so I can charge the batteries while traveling. Does the PD4045 have specific connections for the TV to be able to charge the batteries, or does it only charge them when plugged into shore power?
marant
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Charging Batteries from TV when using PD4045?

Postby GuitarPhotog » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:14 pm

The PD4045 charges only when connected to shore power. Just connect your charging line from the TV through a fuse to the battery. Be sure to use a dedicated ground wire and use adequately sized wire (i.e., AWG 10)

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby capnTelescope » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:31 pm

You can also power the PD from an inverter powered by the TV. I did something similar for my build. The Charging While Towing topic discusses several ways to charge from the TV.

Don't let it overwhelm you! :beer:
I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

Brad
ImageImageImage

Building the Bed & Breakfast
capnTelescope
Lifetime member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:56 pm

I was curious if leaving the TV plugged into the tear would allow the solar panels to charge the TV battery and yes it will, since the PD is on the same circuit it will as well. BUT you need the seven prong plug and wiring to the battery.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Dale M. » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:01 am

Shadow Catcher wrote:I was curious if leaving the TV plugged into the tear would allow the solar panels to charge the TV battery and yes it will, since the PD is on the same circuit it will as well. BUT you need the seven prong plug and wiring to the battery.

Not saying this is a bad idea or concept, might even save TV battery, but my preference would be TV battery disconnected or isolated from tear and "other" charging or use source when unit is parked... I like the idea of a relay/solenoid disconnect operated by TV key control....

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:51 pm

Dale I said I wanted to know if it will work, it does but I normally I disconnect.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Return to Electrical Secrets