Seriously considering xt60

Anything electric, AC or DC

Seriously considering xt60

Postby Dalorin » Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:21 pm

All,

I'm in the process of wiring the power through my camper and I'm beginning to seriously consider putting some panel mounted xt60 connectors in the galley.

Everyone complains about the typical 12v rv sockets. They did get their start from cigarette lighting after all. Not as if they were designed for delivering power.

Any 12v appliances that I wind up using heavily I can just clip the wires and solder on an xt60 connector. They can carry 60 amps. That's way beyond the load of any rv application. They're small and fasten securely. And they cost a fraction of what the traditional sockets run.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... g_Kit.html

Thoughts?
Dalorin
Teardrop Master

Re: Seriously considering xt60

Postby felixx » Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:53 am

I use them in ALL my RC planes
a couple draw 14V @50A and these work fine.
What a great idea!
(I use them for my hunting spotlights too!)
felixx
Donating Member

Postby dales133 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:10 am

The Hella merit socket is a good option too.
Its used by waeco,dometec for thier fridge plugs and alot of people don't even realize it.
The females a small round 2 pin flush mount about half the size of a cig plug with a realy secure connection.
The male can be brought so that it fits standard cig outlets in a pinch but you remove that and you have a male merit connector for more stable connection for important stuff like fridges.
Keep in mind if you buy marine quality female cig outlets with the twist lock function and good quality male connectors they do work verry well
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby dales133 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:17 am

There is also the anderson plug system witch is verry good.
Ive looked at the link you added and it looks good but if you need versitility with connections it wouldn't be a first choice for me....
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:20 pm

Everyone complains about the typical 12v rv sockets.

Dalorin:

Just to be clear, I've got two two-plug 12V sockets in my trailer and have never had a problem with them. Not a hiccup or a blown fuse. No complaints here.

I run several devices from them, a 12V electric blanket that draws about 3.5 amps, a CD player that draws 2 (if I recall), a shower pump, a two-port USB plug, and once in awhile a mini-usb cord with an automotive male connector for a Kindle.

The diversity is a real plus.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Dale M. » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:06 am

Standard 12 sockets have been around for 65 years or more (started in cars about 1950)... The are perfected, most devices come with the male plug already, only conclusion I have is people who are having problems with them are probably getting one with just poor quality ....

If you convert to a odd ball connector system in a "standard" world you better take along tools becasue you may be changing plugs on trip as 12 accessory fails and you have to replace plug on new unit on a trip to make it work with your nonstandard arrangement...

And many many chargers and "stuff" expect to be in "standard" accessory socket, it limits your buying power to getting only items with cords/plugs you can convert...

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Dalorin » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:52 pm

All,

Thanks for the suggestions. All of the connectors referenced above look awesome.

Just to clarify, I'm still planning to have regular 12v sockets. Im planning to put in xt60 in addition to those.

Excellent information in this thread.

Thanks again.
Dalorin
Teardrop Master

Return to Electrical Secrets