AC to DC on a budget

Anything electric, AC or DC

AC to DC on a budget

Postby Stainless » Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:40 pm

I haven't seen this mentioned here before, so forgive me if this is common knowledge.

An ATX desktop computer power supply is a very solid (and cheap, or free) option for converting AC power into DC for trailer use. I've converted a few ATX units into bench power supplies for my garage and other purposes over the years, and it seemed like a reasonable thing to do for the trailer as well. After over a year, the thing is still doing its job without any complaints. 120 VAC in, 12 VDC @ 25 A out (amps out depends on the unit, but 20 - 25A is most common), and very stable because desktop computers are fussy about power quality. Those specs are beefier than RV-specific converters that cost hundreds, and used ATX supplies are incredibly plentiful wherever you are.

I know this forum is often suspicious of non-commercial (DIY) solutions for electrical things, but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway. The conversion process is easy (and very, very well-documented on the web), so if you're looking for a cheap way of getting high-current 12 VDC into your trailer when 120 VAC is available at a campsite, from a genset, or in your yard, check it out.

S
Stainless
Teardrop Builder

Re: AC to DC on a budget

Postby Graniterich » Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:33 pm

I use one to power my led lights in my yard. Had to attach one wire to turn it on when plugged in. Because they are a switching power supply they put out an incredible amount of amperage for size and cost
Graniterich
Donating Member

Postby jss06 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:39 pm

I see nothing wrong with that. Just remember you will not be able to charge a battery with that power supply.
jss06
Palladium Donating Member

Postby Socal Tom » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:20 am

Maybe you could contribute a write up on how it was done. I gave it a shot one day, and couldn't get any power out of it.
Tom
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby H.A. » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:18 am

Last edited by H.A. on Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
H.A.
The 300 Club

Postby dmdc411 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:29 pm

I learned how to convert the power supply from a video on u tube. My tear uses all LEDs, fantastic fan, and two entry lights. Draws 5.75 amps with all 6 lights on, and fan on high! Power supply is rated for 14 amps if I remember right. Have a remote switch to turn it all on.
dmdc411
Teardrop Master

Postby gDeN » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:36 pm

Socal Tom wrote:Maybe you could contribute a write up on how it was done. I gave it a shot one day, and couldn't get any power out of it.
Tom

Its not too difficult. There is a PS On Pin that needs to be grounded to turn on. You can wire this to a switch to turn on/off. You can use any or all of the 3.3V, 5V, or 12V wires; just cut off the connector and splice in where needed. 5V is often used for LED's or USB charging, 3.3V not too common on trailers.

Don't forget to cap off the unused wires or sparky sparky fire flame...

gDeN
Teardrop Inspector

Postby dmdc411 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:38 am

Been using my dc power supply for 5 plus years. See I commented back in 2015 on this thread. Back then it was an experiment to see if it would work. Have had one hiccup where I went to turn on the power supply for lights, and nothing happened. It was 25 degrees out, no heat yet, second try worked, and still works great! This ps is from an old desk top computer I scrapped out. Maybe 17 years old by now. Time for an upgrade thinking. Seen them for $40 at Best Buy!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
dmdc411
Teardrop Master

Postby mrcreepy » Sun May 17, 2020 8:46 am

dmdc411 wrote:Been using my dc power supply for 5 plus years. See I commented back in 2015 on this thread. Back then it was an experiment to see if it would work. Have had one hiccup where I went to turn on the power supply for lights, and nothing happened. It was 25 degrees out, no heat yet, second try worked, and still works great! This ps is from an old desk top computer I scrapped out. Maybe 17 years old by now. Time for an upgrade thinking. Seen them for $40 at Best Buy!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Thanks for the update dmdc411!

I'm considering doing something very similar. As your previous post indicated "...all LEDs, fantastic fan, and two entry lights." I'd also like to add a couple of usb ports for charging cell phones. Not sure I'll need 6 lights. I have a 19 amp 13.8VDC switchable power supply I want to use, and based on your previous information (Draws 5.75 amps with all 6 lights on, and fan on high!) I think it it'll work.
mrcreepy
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Electrical Secrets