Battery question for fellow CPAP users

Anything electric, AC or DC

Battery question for fellow CPAP users

Postby sned » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:18 pm

I'm currently using a Resmed S9 CPAP with the 12v adapter and doing some electrical planning to determine needed battery capacity. I have a 12v AGM 100ah battery and wondering if I need to add another as I would like to get 3 to 4 nights of CPAP, LED lights and iPad usage.

With solar charging are you able to recharge your battery to allow 3 to 4 nights of LED lighting, iPad and CPAP usage?
sned
Teardrop Builder

Re: Battery question for fellow CPAP users

Postby KennethW » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:26 pm

With a older resmed on a inverter and a big deep cycle(walmart) I get 5 days maybe 6.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Kenp51 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:34 am

I also use the same CPAP.
Your power needs will vary depending on the pressure and humidifier setting. The humidifier is the power hog of the system.
My current pressure is 11.6, and humidity at 4.5. any less humidity at this high a pressure leaves me drier than a desert.
So with out 2 batteries I figure I would end up damaging the battery.

Here is link to the Apnea Board. I got the clinician manual for the Resmed S9 CPAP and info on how to change the pressure
http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pressure/change-cpap-pressure-settings-adjusting-your-machine-with-a-clinician-setup-manual
If it works I posted the Resmed 9 pdf. If not then I can email it to you if you want it

Ken
Attachments
198103r3_batteryguide_glo_eng.pdf
(281.01 KiB) Downloaded 384 times
As for Me and My House, We Will Serve the Lord
Kenp51
Teardrop Inspector

Postby iggy3860 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:11 am

I have the S9 as well & I run it on a pair of Optima 66Ah batteries. I get two nights easily without any recharge...three nights & I start to get cut-out early on the third morning. My batteries start at 13.2v when I first get to camp & the cut-out occurs [I believe] at 10.8v.

I try & reduce power consumption with the humidifier by filling the tank with warm to hot [ish] water...an excuse for a cuppa before bed :D

I also reduce the temperature from 28 C [82 F] to 24 C [75 F].

Thanks for the battery guide :thumbsup:

Ian
Iggy
[Ian McLaren]
iggy3860
Teardrop Inspector

Postby iggy3860 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:53 am

:oops: SMTL [short term memory loss]

I run a converter [DC/DC converter 24V/90W (p/n 36970)] & the batteries are linked to output 12v. The cutoff would be at 10.5v as per the battery guide & they recovered slightly before I got to read them.
Iggy
[Ian McLaren]
iggy3860
Teardrop Inspector

Postby iggy3860 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:56 am

:oops: that would be STML

Got to get the fingers linked to the brain :D
Iggy
[Ian McLaren]
iggy3860
Teardrop Inspector

Postby rainjer » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:11 pm

I have a 18 year old CPAP I run of a 12v adapter that I run off a Walmart group 27 115ah battery. I also have a 15W solar panel. This last summer I spent 8 nights camping in the Sierra Nevada mountains. I ran my CPAP 6-8 hours per night, no humidifier, plus ran my LED lights in my trailer, charged my cell phone and charged my Dell tablet. I connected my solar panel during the day let it charge as much as the trees would allow. I was able to go all 8 nights without running out of power.

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby KennethW » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:54 pm

rainjer wrote:I have a 18 year old CPAP I run of a 12v adapter that I run off a Walmart group 27 115ah battery. I also have a 15W solar panel. This last summer I spent 8 nights camping in the Sierra Nevada mountains. I ran my CPAP 6-8 hours per night, no humidifier, plus ran my LED lights in my trailer, charged my cell phone and charged my Dell tablet. I connected my solar panel during the day let it charge as much as the trees would allow. I was able to go all 8 nights without running out of power.
Jeremy

The solar panel must be helping a lot. What size is your solar panels?
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Graniterich » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:45 pm

He said a fifteen watt panel, so about an amp per hour recharge rate.
Graniterich
Donating Member

Postby Kharn » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:22 pm

If we're on battery power we do not use the humidifiers, since the air moving through the tear is usually humid enough to prevent discomfort, and the humidifier is a large electrical draw. (You can usually turn off the humidifier and still get some benefit from drawing the air over the water if you want) From the math I did, one Group 27 battery was marginal for three nights for two people (based on our individual machines and settings), so I put a second battery underneath to make sure we have enough power for lights, fan, charging electronics, etc.
Kharn
500 Club

Postby KennethW » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:25 pm

Kharn wrote:If we're on battery power we do not use the humidifiers, since the air moving through the tear is usually humid enough to prevent discomfort, and the humidifier is a large electrical draw. (You can usually turn off the humidifier and still get some benefit from drawing the air over the water if you want) From the math I did, one Group 27 battery was marginal for three nights for two people (based on our individual machines and settings), so I put a second battery underneath to make sure we have enough power for lights, fan, charging electronics, etc.

From what I have seen you are right on the money. Three nights with two Cpap's is a stretch. Good post.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Electrical Secrets