Power Converter Question

Anything electric, AC or DC

Power Converter Question

Postby mjewell5 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:59 pm

Hello all:

I am about 3/4 thru my build. I have the electrical systems in, but not completely finished with it.

My question concerns the power converter. I have a WFCO 7512 (pretty sure), and it has 5 DC lines, one of which is for the battery. My question is, if I connect this red lead to the battery, does that in turn power the DC side when not plugged in to shore power, then turn it back into a charge flow when AC power is connected?

I've looked at all the literature the manufacturer's information, but it doesn't really say much.

Any help would be much appreciated!!

Mike
mjewell5
Teardrop Builder

Re: Power Converter Question

Postby Jim.Johnson » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:15 am

I'd like to help but more info would be needed. I can't find the unit online. Are the numbers correct?
Jim.Johnson
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mjewell5 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:03 pm

This is what I have:

http://www.americanrvcompany.com/WFCO-W ... Trailer-RV

Went to WFCO website and just couldn't find any information, but I figure that the battery wire simply HAS to run both ways. I get that the converter charges the battery, but can only assume that there is some circuitry that, when it's not charging, it is putting power back to the other four DC branches.

I suppose I could just stick a battery in it and find out for myself, huh?
mjewell5
Teardrop Builder

Postby GuitarPhotog » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:41 pm

I had a WFCO 7530 and the battery powered the DC circuits when there was no 120VAC.

Note that the WFCO line is not noted for its longevity nor is the company known for customer service. Google "WFCO problems" for more info.

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby mjewell5 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:19 pm

I have read about WFCO problems, but this converter was given to me my another RV'er. I figured it would be good enough to get started, then when it fails, I will replace it with a more reliable converter. I am powering an air conditioner and a couple of outlets with the AC side, and 8 LED lights and a vent fan with the DC side. Hopefully this won't be too much of a workout for the WFCO, and it will last a couple of years.
mjewell5
Teardrop Builder

Postby ywhic » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:47 am

On my wfco the red line feeds the battery when plugged into 120vac and charges. When not plugged in the battery reverse feeds thru to power the other 12vdc circuits.
Al
---------------
2016 WellsCargo FT6121 6x12
ywhic
Teardrop Advisor

Postby blentz » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:23 pm

Power it up and see.
blentz
Teardrop Builder

Return to Electrical Secrets