What 12 volt socket to get

Anything electric, AC or DC

What 12 volt socket to get

Postby mariannf » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:29 am

Hi all,
I am working on a first build. For my doc electrical I want to keep it simple: cabin light, fantastic vent fan, and a 12 volt socket (cigarette lighter). there are a few different types of cigarette lighter available. What type do you recommend? Ideally it can be mounted into the wall (walls are sandwich). Do these sockets get wired the same as other accessories?
Thanks!
mariannf
Teardrop Master

Re: What 12 volt socket to get

Postby les45 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:55 am

I used the combo type with USB outlet. Great for charging phones and computers. We also use a laptop for watching DVD's. Simple red and black (+ and -) 12 VDC wiring connection. Also if you keep your battery charged during the off season they provide power for charging phones and gadgets during home electrical outages. Most are probably too deep to fit in a wall. I mounted mine under a cabinet inside the cabin near my electrical supply.
les45
500 Club

Postby Gunguy05 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:07 am

I'm going to be purchasing something like this for our current build. Seems like it does a good job. I have see a few others that use them. Very compact.

http://www.amazon.com/BlueFire-Motorcyc ... +meter+usb
Brian

Checkout my buildThe Regal Eagle Bow front for 4
Also my teardrop updates from blog on Dad Rambles
Gunguy05
The 300 Club

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:53 am

^ Thats a pretty nice combo! Thanks for spending my money. :lol:
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby Ned B » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:25 am

Darn it, I haven't even ordered my frame, & wasn't going to put in a battery initially... Now I want one of those too!
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mariannf » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:41 am

Thanks you all!
I was wondering about where to mount it because the depth was too great for the wall, so an under cabinet make sense.
For the USB/socket combo any suggestions about wire gauge? I am not firm on where to put my battery. if i put it in the tongue box the length of wire will be about 15 feet. If i can figure out how to mount the battery under the floor the length of wire would be about just a few feet, max 5'.
If you have any tips on how to get the battery housed under the floor (ideally with out needing a cut out) that would be much appreciated too!
mariannf
Teardrop Master

Postby Gunguy05 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:38 pm

mariannf wrote:Thanks you all!
I was wondering about where to mount it because the depth was too great for the wall, so an under cabinet make sense.
For the USB/socket combo any suggestions about wire gauge? I am not firm on where to put my battery. if i put it in the tongue box the length of wire will be about 15 feet. If i can figure out how to mount the battery under the floor the length of wire would be about just a few feet, max 5'.
If you have any tips on how to get the battery housed under the floor (ideally with out needing a cut out) that would be much appreciated too!

Get some 14 or 16 ga speaker wire. Cheap, and it works just fine for the amount of current you will be drawing .
Brian

Gunguy05
The 300 Club

Postby Gunguy05 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:39 pm

absolutsnwbrdr wrote:^ Thats a pretty nice combo! Thanks for spending my money. :lol:

Hey, you've spent plenty of mine.. I do remember doors from Frank that you turned me on to. That was an expensive bill :thumbsup: 8)
Brian

Gunguy05
The 300 Club

Postby Toytaco2 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:52 am

I've had a question on this for a while. If you install a 12 volt socket, could you actually power your system from one of those jump start batteries that also has a 12 volt socket? Seems like it would be a good back up if you ran down your deep cycle battery on a long trip. I would think you must disconnect your main battery before doing so, assuming this is actually a workable idea.
Toytaco2
500 Club

Postby H.A. » Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:39 pm

[.
Last edited by H.A. on Sat May 14, 2016 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
H.A.
The 300 Club

Postby KennethW » Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:18 pm

mariannf wrote:Hi all,
I am working on a first build. For my doc electrical I want to keep it simple: cabin light, fantastic vent fan, and a 12 volt socket (cigarette lighter). there are a few different types of cigarette lighter available. What type do you recommend? Ideally it can be mounted into the wall (walls are sandwich). Do these sockets get wired the same as other accessories?
Thanks!

I remove all the 12 volt sockets (cigarette lighter) and replace them with 30 amp Anderson powerpoles. They are gender-less so at any plug you can get power or supply power(battery, charger or solar). The powerpoles plug in with a positive snap so you know that they are pluged in and stay plugged in.
Just my opinion.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GuitarPhotog » Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:56 pm

KennethW wrote:
mariannf wrote:Hi all,
Thanks!

I remove all the 12 volt sockets (cigarette lighter) and replace them with 30 amp Anderson powerpoles. They are gender-less so at any plug you can get power or supply power(battery, charger or solar). The powerpoles plug in with a positive snap so you know that they are pluged in and stay plugged in.
Just my opinion.

The Anderson powerpoles are great connectors, but unless you wire up an adapter, you have to convert all your 12VDC devices to powerpole connectors before you can use the. If you need to buy a replacement device on the road...

My teardrop has all three. I have built-in USB charging ports, I have cigarette lighter receptacles, and I have high-current powerpole-like connectors.

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby mariannf » Wed May 25, 2016 4:30 pm

just an update ion case anyone finds this as they are planning their own build.
I ended up buying a 12 v dual usb port that has a on/off rocker switch pre-wired. this would eliminate the concern about having a constant trickle draw on the battery:
http://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Motorc ... ge_o01_s00
mariannf
Teardrop Master

Postby Shadow Catcher » Wed May 25, 2016 6:43 pm

I also have used Anderson power poles and agree they work better and make what ever attaches to them somewhat less attractive for thieves. What ever you install, install more of them. I have also used a number of the 50A for solar and to connect the refrigerator to the tow vehicle.
[url]https://powerwerx.com/anderson-power-powerpole-sb-connectors#/specFilters=129m!#-!307!##!308&pageSize=90&orderBy=0&pageNumber=1[/url]

PS you do NOT want a light inside the cabin i.e. a meter particularly blue (disturbs sleep patterns).
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby KennethW » Wed May 25, 2016 8:16 pm

GuitarPhotog wrote:The Anderson powerpoles are great connectors, but unless you wire up an adapter, you have to convert all your 12VDC devices to powerpole connectors before you can use the. If you need to buy a replacement device on the road...

My teardrop has all three. I have built-in USB charging ports, I have cigarette lighter receptacles, and I have high-current powerpole-like connectors.

<Chas>
:beer:

After taking a two week road trip and a couple weekend trip I can say I really like the powerpole connectors. Never once did any thing get unpluged!!
I need to run two cpaps. So I needed max power from my solar panel and It was easy to wire around my controller by unplugging and plugging back in. I like the gender-less design of the powerpoles(power in//power out-- same plug).
Yes, I did make 2 pigtail adapter(both ways) just in case.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Next

Return to Electrical Secrets