Newbie question about the trailer connection to vehicle

Anything electric, AC or DC

Newbie question about the trailer connection to vehicle

Postby mrredrocker » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:06 pm

This is the electrical connection on the LG Silver Shadow I'm getting. My car currently has a 4pin pigtail.

Is it advisable to use an adaptor or do I need to have wiring changed on either camper or the car?

And most importantly, is there a temporary/short-term fix just so I can have brake lights to get the camper home?

Thanks!
Attachments
7a0_2.jpg
7a0_2.jpg (251.87 KiB) Viewed 3589 times
mrredrocker
Teardrop Builder

Re: Newbie question about the trailer connection to vehicle

Postby Trevor57 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:29 pm

I would get something like this, for the time being. http://www.amazon.com/Trailer-Adapter-c ... B000WG83HO

Although i would eventually rewire it properly.
Trevor57
Teardrop Builder

Postby GuitarPhotog » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:15 pm

Get a 4-pin to 7-pin adapter for now and have the tow vehicle rewired to support the 7-pin when you can.

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby mrredrocker » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:11 pm

Thank you both. This camper doesn't have brakes which I previously thought was what a 7pin was for. Without brakes perhaps I could just change the trailer wiring?
mrredrocker
Teardrop Builder

Postby tony.latham » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:52 pm

mrredrocker wrote:Thank you both. This camper doesn't have brakes which I previously thought was what a 7pin was for. Without brakes perhaps I could just change the trailer wiring?

That adapter will get you home. I don't think you can charge while towing with a 4-pin.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby troubleScottie » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:07 am

Four pin are minimal: right turn/stop, left turn/stop, running lights and ground. It might be possible to charge with the running light connection. However it is not designed for that type of power draw and may negatively influence your running lights which is much more important than charging the battery.

Seven pin has in addition: brakes, power and auxiliary which is often used for reverse. Some people do not completely trust the power wire. It is a bit small if you need lots of charging current.

There are 5 and 6 pin connectors, though much less common.

You might be want as said a 4 pin / 7 pin connector on you Towing Vehicle (TV). You do not have to connect the extra 3 wires or add a brake controller in your vehicle. It is acting as an adapter. A bit prettier. Also it allows you to tow other trailers with just 4 pin connectors.

You can always add you own additional set of wires for charging. Remember fuses, solenoid and use good connectors like Anderson.
Michael Krolewski
Scottish Terrier Fancier
troubleScottie
Donating Member

Postby capnTelescope » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:11 pm

So anything can tow it, I did this on the trailer end:

:beer:
I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

Brad
ImageImageImage

Building the Bed & Breakfast
capnTelescope
Lifetime member

Postby Dale M. » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:04 am

Another option may be to upgrade TV wiring socket with one that will accept the 4 pin or a 7 pin connector....

http://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Curt/C57674.html

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Redneck Teepee » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:59 am

Remember that an adapter will only work properly if whom ever set up the plug-ins wired them correctly to start with.........you would be surprised at the number of people who pay no attention to those little identifying terminal markings or color codes. :D
I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction, the world will have a generation of idiot's.
Redneck Teepee
Silver Donating Member

Postby mrredrocker » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:54 pm

Redneck Teepee wrote:Remember that an adapter will only work properly if whom ever set up the plug-ins wired them correctly to start with.........you would be surprised at the number of people who pay no attention to those little identifying terminal markings or color codes. :D

So, I'm the one who set up the plug initially on my car. The instructions from Curt said to plug the provided module into the rear driver side light assembly. I'm attaching a picture. Since it's basically pulling from the brake and turn signals as far as I can see, I guess I'd need to run an extra line from the battery or some part of the wiring harness to facilitate the ability to charge the camper battery.

Since i just bought this camper (Silver Shadow Little Guy, just got it home this afternoon) I'm not sure how much I'll be relying on the battery anyway. I need to find a manual for this camper but I also assumed that when I plug in at a campsite or at the house that that charges the battery too, at least enough to maintain the battery. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Clearly I'm making some assumptions here. Time to find a manual...

20160323_161422.jpg
20160323_161422.jpg (145.36 KiB) Viewed 3404 times
mrredrocker
Teardrop Builder

Postby Dale M. » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:30 am

It appears you only have the very basic 4 wire connection... Left turn/stop, right turn/stop and tail lights and ground... To do charge while towing you will either have to add auxiliary connector or up grade from 4 wire connector to maybe 5 or 6 or 7 pin connector (on TV & TD)... The 7 pin RV (flat blade) connector is most popular as it provides 12 volts (aux) to trailer and brake connections (If you have electric brakes on TD) .... If you want to add "charge while towing" you will have to add another wire from TV battery through a fuse (and maybe relay if you want ignition control) and of course if trailer has brakes (which is probably not) you would have to add brake controller and additional wiring...

Having minimal connection you have the required basics... Charge while towing is nice but not a absolute necessary...

Loooong discussion on "charge while towing" here...

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=28620

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby mrredrocker » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:08 pm

Dale, thanks for the discussion link. I'll read up on it some.

I don't currently have brakes on the camper but I'm seriously considering adding them and could then get all the wiring upgraded in one go...
mrredrocker
Teardrop Builder

Postby Redneck Teepee » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:04 pm

mrredrocker wrote:
Redneck Teepee wrote:Remember that an adapter will only work properly if whom ever set up the plug-ins wired them correctly to start with.........you would be surprised at the number of people who pay no attention to those little identifying terminal markings or color codes. :D

So, I'm the one who set up the plug initially on my car. The instructions from Curt said to plug the provided module into the rear driver side light assembly. I'm attaching a picture. Since it's basically pulling from the brake and turn signals as far as I can see, I guess I'd need to run an extra line from the battery or some part of the wiring harness to facilitate the ability to charge the camper battery.

Since i just bought this camper (Silver Shadow Little Guy, just got it home this afternoon) I'm not sure how much I'll be relying on the battery anyway. I need to find a manual for this camper but I also assumed that when I plug in at a campsite or at the house that that charges the battery too, at least enough to maintain the battery. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Clearly I'm making some assumptions here. Time to find a manual...

20160323_161422.jpg

If your trailer lights worked correctly with your plug in adapter on your TV, then the trailer plug has been wired correctly. I personally do not charge my battery from the tow vehicle, I'm usually out 2 maybe three days and have plenty of battery left. I have a small very quite 600 watt Honda generator I will throw in the truck to use for recharging the battery should the need arise. My teardrop uses a Battery Tender with a float or maintainer cycle, powered through the shore power plug, once the battery is topped off it cycles in and out as required to keep it topped off when parked or moth balled for the winter.
I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction, the world will have a generation of idiot's.
Redneck Teepee
Silver Donating Member

Return to Electrical Secrets