The basics of a camper refrigerator

Anything electric, AC or DC

The basics of a camper refrigerator

Postby gene so » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:22 am

Hello,
I have purchased a used RV refrigerator from a person with no knowledge of how it works. I note on its rear there is a red button which indicates 12v-110-115v and the off position. The refrigerator also has a dial for temperature. It also has a propane line fitting with s shutoff valve. I am starting to wire the camper I am building.
I can understand the propane hookup, but I find the dial of both ac/dc connections confusing. There is one electrical cord withna standard 120v male plug. How do I wire my trailer so this refrigerator can receive both 120v and also 12v? I can see using both depending on the facilties at where I camp. When would you use the propane and is it a better usage than the 12v storage battery for a longer than usual campout? Sorry to be so ignorant, but there is nobody in my area with any practical knowledge about this type of refrigerator. Any maintenance tips?

Thanks

Gene S.
gene so
Teardrop Advisor

Re: The basics of a camper refrigerator

Postby H.A. » Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:20 pm

Last edited by H.A. on Mon May 16, 2016 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
H.A.
The 300 Club

Re: The basics of a camper refrigerator

Postby GuitarPhotog » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:35 pm

The usual drill with 3-way fridges is to run them on shore power when you have it. Run them on 12VDC when on the road, and run them on propane when you're in camp.

Propane fridges are sensitive to level, and must be vented for intake and exhaust air.

Find the manufacturer's plate and google for a manual, lacking that take it to an RV Repair place and have them check it and show you how to light it and keep it running.

I just got a used Dometic 2-way, 120/propane, for my standy. The teardrop still runs on ice.

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Return to Electrical Secrets