Camper shocking me.

Anything electric, AC or DC

Camper shocking me.

Postby sumo » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:49 pm

I got a question. While putting the last piece if aluminum trim on the my latest camper I felt a mild shock. I re-mounted the ground wire from the Powerinverter but shock still remained. However when I put down one of the leveling Jacks the shocking goes away. This is the first time I have had this problem . Any help would be appreciated.
User avatar
sumo
Teardrop Master
 
Posts: 130
Images: 0
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:05 am

Re: Camper shocking me.

Postby Trebor English » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:07 pm

This "Powerinverter," is it an AC powered charger/converter combined with a dc powered inverter?
What make and model is it?
If you get shocked by touching metal there is a problem. If you get stuck out in the rain somewhere it might be much worse.
Trebor English
Gold Donating Member
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:42 pm
Location: Melbourne, Florida

Re: Camper shocking me.

Postby sumo » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:16 pm

It an ac /dc combo. I just realized that that type of inverter is grounded through the plug if I am not mistaking. I am not cretin that the electrical outlet I was plugged into is properly grounded. When I put the jack down the shocking goes away immediately. Not sure why.
User avatar
sumo
Teardrop Master
 
Posts: 130
Images: 0
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:05 am
Top

Re: Camper shocking me.

Postby troubleScottie » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:41 pm

Putting down the jack is a grounding point which offers less resistance than you - hence the preferred path. So still there, you just cannot feel it.

Definitely have a short. Most likely going to the trailer frame (and the skin).

Remembering a high voltage/high amperage DC shock, the experience was definitely not a tingle. Recalling AC shocks, they definitely tingle.

The AC ground (green wire typically) should be the ground not the white wire.
Michael Krolewski
Scottish Terrier Fancier
troubleScottie
Teardrop Master
 
Posts: 159
Images: 10
Joined: Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:02 am
Location: Seattle, WA
Top

Re: Camper shocking me.

Postby H.A. » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:11 am

sumo wrote:It an ac /dc combo. I just realized that that type of inverter is grounded through the plug if I am not mistaking. I am not cretin that the electrical outlet I was plugged into is properly grounded. When I put the jack down the shocking goes away immediately. Not sure why.


Thats entirely possible.
Even if your campers electrics are 100% correct, Its all void if you plug into an improperly wired receptacle.
You have two distinct problems.
Aside from the serious problem causing a shock. Just as serious, your grounding connection is faulty.

Putting the jack down could be a couple things.
1, The mechanism of the jack is pinching an energised conductor. Lowering the jack releases this pinched condition.
2, There exists a connection of an energised conductor to the metallic structure. (more likely)
When metallic portion of the jack touches the floor, that completes a grounding circuit. The current what was flowing thru your body & shocking you, Is now flowing to the ground more directly via the metal jack.

Either of these 3 scenarios represents a serious electrocution hazard & must be remedied.

You mentioned occurrence when applying a metal trim. Is it possible you put a fastener into one of the energised conductors ?
Last edited by H.A. on Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
H.A.
The 300 Club
 
Posts: 430
Images: 0
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:16 pm
Top

Re: Camper shocking me.

Postby Breytie » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:26 am

Another scenario - Many devices have mains power filters on their inputs. These filters often connect in a "delta" configuration between the Live, Neutral and Earth. If there is no grounded earth connection, the earth may float up to about half the mains voltage - in your case about 55V - at very low leakage currents - but enough to give a good tingle. Around here that would be 110V which gives a whack.
Inverters may also have floating AC outputs that cause the same kind of problem.

You probably have the mains ground bonded to either or both frame and 12V negative letting them too float up in voltage.When you drop the leveling jack to the ground, that leakage goes to ground and not you. Plugging in a shore power connection should also stop the tingle.

Hope it helps.
Experience is learning from your own mistakes
Here I make mine in public: My build
Breytie
Teardrop Master
 
Posts: 206
Images: 36
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:21 pm
Top

Re: Camper shocking me.

Postby sumo » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:29 am

When I get home today I am going to plug into another shore power source. I have it wired where 1/2 of the plugs are on one breaker and the other have is on another breaker. I had a friend throw each breaker one at a time . I tried it with each on and each off. The only way the shock stopped is when both breakers were thrown cutting all the power to the outlets. I was thinking that I may have accidently run a screw one of the wires. I would think by cutting the power to each side and sill having the shock when the other side was energized would eliminate that unless I have a screw through the wires on both sides which I think would be unlikely. Any thoughts.
User avatar
sumo
Teardrop Master
 
Posts: 130
Images: 0
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:05 am
Top

Re: Camper shocking me.

Postby Dale M. » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:42 am

A simple tool like this will help identify if you have receptacle with a problem you may be plugging into...

Image

Its best/simplest tool you can have to test a receptacle with, either at home or on the road...

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Image
User avatar
Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club
 
Posts: 2693
Images: 18
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:50 pm
Location: Just a tiny bit west of Yosemite National Park
Top

Re: Camper shocking me.

Postby sumo » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:05 pm

Ok I plugs the camper into a different shore power source and I it seems to have fixed the problem I no longer get shocked.I am going to monitor it for a few days to be sure that was the problem.
User avatar
sumo
Teardrop Master
 
Posts: 130
Images: 0
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:05 am
Top

Re: Camper shocking me.

Postby Dale M. » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:32 pm

Would still test outlets, it a matter of personal safety about any device used in outlets not just TD...

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Image
User avatar
Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club
 
Posts: 2693
Images: 18
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:50 pm
Location: Just a tiny bit west of Yosemite National Park
Top

Re: Camper shocking me.

Postby H.A. » Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:03 am

sumo wrote:Ok I plugs the camper into a different shore power source and I it seems to have fixed the problem I no longer get shocked.I am going to monitor it for a few days to be sure that was the problem.


Possibly not "fixed". You maybe just plugged into a correctly wired & grounded receptacle.

A high impedence ground fault in the camper may not pass enough current to trip a receptacles circuitbreaker, It still has potential to shock If there is no grounding conductor for the fault current to return upon.
H.A.
The 300 Club
 
Posts: 430
Images: 0
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:16 pm
Top

Re: Camper shocking me.

Postby sumo » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:39 am

Ok got a outlet tester. All plugs are showing open ground . What would cause that.
User avatar
sumo
Teardrop Master
 
Posts: 130
Images: 0
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:05 am
Top

Re: Camper shocking me.

Postby sumo » Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:25 pm

Checked shore power cord and was showing open ground. Replaced cord and all plugs show to be correct. The shocking seems to be gone.
User avatar
sumo
Teardrop Master
 
Posts: 130
Images: 0
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:05 am
Top

Re: Camper shocking me.

Postby Shadow Catcher » Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:55 pm

Good to know you found the problem. You did not say if it is a 30A cord or ? I have had some cord end failures from time to time. A VOM multi-meter can tell you if you have a short or open ground.
User avatar
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member
 
Posts: 5658
Images: 193
Joined: Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:26 pm
Location: Metamora, OH
Top

Re: Camper shocking me.

Postby bdosborn » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:57 pm

sumo wrote:I got a question. While putting the last piece if aluminum trim on the my latest camper I felt a mild shock.


I bet you shot a screw into a wire putting on the trim.The short is probably still there, you just gave it a low impedance path to ground with the grounded receptacle. Be careful when you wash the trailer; that's how I found out I had a trim screw through a wire. :?

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
Image
Boxcar Build
User avatar
bdosborn
Donating Member
 
Posts: 4281
Images: 451
Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 11:10 pm
Location: CO, Littleton
Top

Next

Return to Electrical Secrets

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest