Fantastic Fan Question

Anything electric, AC or DC

Postby mikeschn » Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:53 am

cracker39 wrote:Regarding stranded vs. solid wire, I only see a problem with working with the wire...that is, flexibility in tight places. Ira said the working with solid was a real headache. So, I may go with stranded. My local HD doesn't have the bulk stranded that I want, but I can buy a 50' 12 ga. extension cord, remove the socket and plug, and cut it to the three lengths I need to reach my outlets. A 50' 12/3 cord is $23 at HD, just a little more than 50' of solid 12/2 w/ground.

Actually I read somewhere that solid is not used because with constant flexing (vibration) it can break. Let me see if I can find that thread.

Okay, here is where I saw that...
http://tnttt.com/viewto ... reak#57248

Mike...

P.S. Actually flexibility is a better reason to use stranded wire. We bought ours at Ace Hardware, off a large spool. It was that orange extension cord wire, really heavy stuff. And it was easy to route it where we wanted it.
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby asianflava » Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:36 am

cracker39 wrote:I can buy a 50' 12 ga. extension cord, remove the socket and plug, and cut it to the three lengths I need to reach my outlets. A 50' 12/3 cord is $23 at HD, just a little more than 50' of solid 12/2 w/ground.

That's exactly what I did, buy an extension cord and cut it up. Since the 3 conductors are contained within one big one, it makes it a little easier to manage the wires. On the downside, the wiring takes up more space.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby sid » Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:39 am

We just received our Fantastic Fan 5000 and it says 16 gage minimum.

sid n side
sid n side
"If you're going through hell, keep going......" Winston Churchhill

Side by Side - completed October 2008
sid
Donating Member

Postby cracker39 » Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:14 pm

My 12V wiring requirements would run from 16 ga to 12 ga. It's cheaper to buy a 100' spool of wire than buying different sizes in the small rolls, so I'm buying two 100 spools (red and black) of 12 ga. and will use it for all of the 12V. I'm wondering why the 100' spools of red wire costs 60% more than black wire. It's that way at all of the auto parts stores.
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby GeorgeTelford » Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:49 pm

Hi Mike

Flexible (stranded cable) is for use when the cable itself will be moving relative to itself (flexing) for permenant fixture solid will do.

You can vibrate some copper from now till doomsday and the atomic structure will not fall apart, work it backwards and forwards and its a different story.

Like I have said before it will not hurt if you use flexible/stranded cable, but its not needed for the urban legend reason that it will break down due to vibration.

And purely for the flexibility it will be easier
GeorgeTelford
500 Club

Postby Ken A Hood » Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:00 pm

I've found white/black/red and several other colors at the same price. It's "marine tinned" and 100' goes for $13.30 (plus shipping)

Specs: Superior quality marine grade tinned primary wire. This cable is UL listed for Marine applications as UL1426 boat cable and meets or exceeds all the requirements of the DOT, US Coast Guard, ABYC and other regulatory bodies. The extra flexible "Type 3" stranding of this cable makes it easy to route and bend as well as absorb vibration which can damage connections.

Construction:
Type 3 extra flexible stranded, electro-tinned plated copper with durable PVC jacket

Sample Jacket Marking:
UL 1426 BOAT CABLE 600V 105C DRY 75C WET (UL)

Uses Include:
For electrical connection in the marine and automotive environments where a tinned conductor is preferred due to it's superior resistance to corrosion. Can also be used for motorcycle, ATV, and various other application requiring a superior primary wire with higher temperature rating and flexibility than standard primary wire.
Disclaimer: I in no way resemble the avatar shown. Furthermore, I in no way have any affiliation to the Trailer Park Boys and more specifically Bubbles!
Ken A Hood
500 Club

Postby s4son » Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:07 pm

sid wrote:We just received our Fantastic Fan 5000 and it says 16 gage minimum.

sid n side

Thanks Sid!

Scott F. :thumbsup:
Are we there yet?
ImageImage
s4son
Donating Member

Postby Bandit » Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:12 pm

Any therefore 14 Ga is no problem. 14Ga is thicker than 16Ga.
Wire, steel sheet and shotgun shells use the reverse number system. The smaller the number the bigger the item.
:lol:
First Metal Cut 02/11/06
Complete! (Almost) 08/22/06
Looking for a trip in the SPRING!!!!
Not Up to Testing the Heater!!!
Thanks for all the HELP!!!!
Bandit
Donating Member

Postby PaulC » Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:38 pm

George, What about available surface area when comparing single to stranded. I was under the impression that, when using the same size, that you would have a larger surface area with stranded. If this is right, wouldn't it mean that you would have less resistance with stranded?
Cheers
Paul :thumbsup:
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Previous

Return to Electrical Secrets