My wiring diagram

Anything electric, AC or DC

My wiring diagram

Postby DaBearSox » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:36 pm

So I designed my wiring diagram on everything I am planning to have in my weekender. If some of you electrical geniuses can tell me if I am off or leaving something out.

I know it's a little hard to follow I had a plan to have the layout of how everything will be positioned in the trailer

Big stand outs...

Solar panel to Sun Saver 10 to battery (no wiring through PD correct?)
All components are on their own circuit (any advantages disadvatages to this?)
DaBearSox
Teardrop Advisor

Re: My wiring diagram

Postby troubleScottie » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:26 pm

Overall -- fine job.

You will need a mechanism to charge at home. You could connect to the shore power assuming you have the correct connectors and cabling. Assuming a 30 A connector, you might have to add one to your house. Not sure what you charger is in the distribution panel. Some people like trickle chargers when at home. Others might know better.

Separate wires for each item is fine. More reliable. You will have more wire cost, but it is not that high.

You might have issues with routing the extra wires depending on how they get from a to b. Not a biggie.

It might be nice to able to disconnect the battery from everything eg a switch to turn it off so the trailer does not draw the battery down. Very useful while in storage/sitting in the driveway.

Charging from the tow vehicle (TV) is always a challenge. Do you do as you have, direct connect to the TV or do you run it through a DC-to-DC charger or inverter-charger pair or one the numerous other arrangements. Not sure what is optimal or even good. Many do the direct connect.

An inverter might be nice, maybe a plug into the DC outlet type. Some people need/want AC power even when only on batteries.

A battery indicator of some sort is good to tell you about where your battery is power wise.
Michael Krolewski
Scottish Terrier Fancier
troubleScottie
Donating Member

Postby DaBearSox » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:24 pm

Thanks for the reply! I have been contemplating just nixing TV charging all together as I heard it could be a pain to hookup. My hitch or wiring is not installed in the TV yet so I was going to ask the shop if they could integrate it into a 7 prong plug instead of a 4 but it may not be worth it. The solar should be able to charge while in tow as long as the sun is out.

My wife runs a food truck and we have a spare 30A female to 15A male cord that I am think should work to charge through the PD when at home.

I thought about an invertor but even in long hauls I am not that dependant on AC power. If I am at a site with a plug great but if not I plan on having a DC TV and no need for a refridge or AC. Camt think of much else I need that can't be plugged into a usb or 12V.

I think the PD and Sun Saver have battery indicator lights but something with a digital read may be helpful. Thanks again!

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
DaBearSox
Teardrop Advisor

Postby H.A. » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:26 pm

[qu t
Last edited by H.A. on Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
H.A.
The 300 Club

Postby DaBearSox » Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:27 pm

So I am getting to the point where I am going to start getting my electrical all set up. The first skematic I posted is pretty close to where I am going and I added a few pieces suggested.

I bought an inline 30 amp blade fuse for between the battery and the PD4045. Couple questions with this... Is this enough? It is about a 6 inch 12AWG wire with the fuse holder inline. I will connect it between my 10 AWG going between the battery and PD.

I will also add a master switch... Before or after fuse?

A 30amp inline fuse will be added to the solar wiring.

I bought GFCI receptacles do I need added protection between the shore power inlet and PD?

OK only a couple ? left...

When it comes to grounding AC and DC....

For some reason my trailer lights had frame ground wires which I have done. I will be routing all my dc circuits back to a bus bar then to the battery negative terminal.

Then should I have another wire coming from battery negative to the chassis?

In regards to AC (green) My AC circuits will be routed back to the bus bar in the PD. Then do I route a wire from the bus bar to the chassis as well or is there a conflict having AC and DC directed to the chassis?

Last question for now. After reading all the PD setups I am still unsure if after my AC neutral (white) needs to go anywhere but the bus bar in the PD.

Thank you!

DaBearSox
Teardrop Advisor

Postby H.A. » Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:00 pm

I bought an inline 30 amp blade fuse for between the battery and the PD4045. Couple questions with this... Is this enough? It is about a 6 inch 12AWG wire with the fuse holder inline. I will connect it between my 10 AWG going between the battery and PD.

30amp will probably be adequate. Looking at your drawing & assuming LED lighting, I dont think you will exceed that
I will also add a master switch... Before or after fuse?

Fuse should be immediately adjacent to the battery, A masterswitch could be placed ahead of, but that would likely be inconvenient placement. (this assuming masterswitch is connected direct to battery, & not utilised as a main DC disconnect on PD4045 ?)
A 30amp inline fuse will be added to the solar wiring.

Great, Remember connected directly adjacent to the battery.

As an aside, Just for fun, Google images of "melted fuseholder".
I hope your fuseholders are up to the task. Sadly alot of them are not.
I bought GFCI receptacles do I need added protection between the shore power inlet and PD?

Its typically not done, GFCI protection is usually installed at the utilization receptacles.
But If you are likely plugging into dodgy/miswired campground receptacle, It would be a good idea. Most effective for this would be a portable equipment GFCI attached to the plug end of your shorepower cable.
Then should I have another wire coming from battery negative to the chassis?

I suggest it. DC Negative grounding is always good practice, & sometimes required if utilising car charging.
In regards to AC (green) My AC circuits will be routed back to the bus bar in the PD. Then do I route a wire from the bus bar to the chassis as well or is there a conflict having AC and DC directed to the chassis?

Yes ! Always connect trailer chassis to the grounding bussbar.
DC negative grounding is entirely different thing. It affects nothing to do with equipment grounding conductors.
Last question for now. After reading all the PD setups I am still unsure if after my AC neutral (white) needs to go anywhere but the bus bar in the PD.

All neutral conductors connect to the neutral bussbar, dont connect anywhere else.
Last edited by H.A. on Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
H.A.
The 300 Club

Postby DaBearSox » Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:15 pm

Thank you so much for the quick reply!

DaBearSox
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Gambinor » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:14 am

Hi there, H.A.

I read all this and really appreciate your advise on all aspects of the power and wiring. However, I got confused with your answer to the question of whether or not you can ground AC AND DC to the chassis without conflict.

So, if you have a DC grounding bus for anything DC (including tail, brake, porch light, etc.) and you insure that the bus is also grounded to the frame, can you have your 120AC ground going to the frame as well? If so, could you simply connect your 120AC grounds to that same bus bar?

Thanks,
Robert
Gambinor
Teardrop Inspector

Postby H.A. » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:57 am

[qu
Last edited by H.A. on Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
H.A.
The 300 Club

Postby troubleScottie » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:16 am

Of course by AC ground, you do mean the green wire.
Michael Krolewski
Scottish Terrier Fancier
troubleScottie
Donating Member

Return to Electrical Secrets