PD4045 - can I install GFCI/AFCI circuit breaker?

Anything electric, AC or DC

PD4045 - can I install GFCI/AFCI circuit breaker?

Postby earl84 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:06 pm

I can call the company, but thought I'd ask here real quick. I have searched to no avail.

I am getting close to doing some wiring, and I found some 120V plugs that have integrated USB charging ports on them. I do however, want to use GFCI plugs for safety sake, but they don't make that all in one outlet. So I figured, what about a GFCI breaker? Did some looking on that and it turns out that the electrical code now requires Arc Fault as well, hence the AFCI/GFCI in the title. Anyway, it has a white wire pigtail that goes to the neutral bus ina normal household circuit breaker panel, does the PD4045 have this? I'm no electrical guru, but the stuff isn't totally foreign to me, and it doesn't scare me, but I have a healthy respect for electrical.
earl84
Donating Member

Re: PD4045 - can I install GFCI/AFCI circuit breaker?

Postby Shadow Catcher » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:05 pm

We have two circuits protected by GFI, one dedicated to the AC and the other in the galley they play well with the 4045.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby troubleScottie » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:25 pm

Yes, either a GFCI breaker or a GFCI outlet. Either one should work. Household code appears to be either one. Our bathrooms have GFCI circuit breakers. The CFCI kitchen has outlets. Generate the same solution.

Just a note: One should consider GFCI for all AC outlets. At some point you will be standing in a puddle in the rain using an AC device. The breakers/outlets are a bit more expensive but nothing compared to an ER visit.
Michael Krolewski
Scottish Terrier Fancier
troubleScottie
Donating Member

Postby MtnDon » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:59 pm

Remember, you do not need a GFCI in every outlet location, as they may be daisy chained downstream from one placed first in any circuit.

AFCI are not required everywhere. Outdoor locations, laundry rooms, unfinished basements, attics and garage spaces, are among the exempt spaces. Smoke and fire alarm systems are exempt. AFCI are only required for 120 VAC in 15 and 20 amp circuits; higher amps and volts are exempt.

I have no idea about fitting one of these breakers into a PD4045; I don't have one of those. Maybe ask the manufacturer as the NEC rules are applied to RV's as well as residential structures.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby earl84 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:11 pm

Thanks for the responses.
Weird that this forum puts a brand new post down at the bottom of the page. Maybe I have a setting configured incorrectly.
Anyway, called Progressive Dynamics. So long as the breaker is one of the types listed in the manual, I can install a GFCI breaker in the PD4045. So that's what I'm going to do, then I can install the 120V plugs with integrated USB ports and be protected. A bit expensive, but kind of slick, and beats electrocution.
earl84
Donating Member

Postby MtnDon » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:31 pm

In your user control panel you can set the post order display to ascending or descending. I think ascending is the default; you can change your settings. Look under board preferences | edit display options.....
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby REIGNSS » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:22 pm

I'm curious about this as well but electrical is far from my area of expertise... Were you able to source a single pole 30amp with GFCI that fits into the PD4045?

I was looking online and I think the Siemens QF130A fits the bill for the main or are you planning to use a standard 30A main breaker and install 15A GFCI in the branch circuit(s)?
REIGNSS
Teardrop Inspector

Postby earl84 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:48 pm

REIGNSS wrote:I'm curious about this as well but electrical is far from my area of expertise... Were you able to source a single pole 30amp with GFCI that fits into the PD4045?

I was looking online and I think the Siemens QF130A fits the bill for the main or are you planning to use a standard 30A main breaker and install 15A GFCI in the branch circuit(s)?

I am using a standard 30A main breaker and 2 15A GFCI breakers in the branch circuits. I know that i am going way overboard on this but better safe than sorry. Don't remember the part numbers on the CB's and i am away from home for 2 weeks, so I cant help with that but i did get them at Lowe's. BTW, they sell the appropriate gauge wire (cant recall the appropriate size, but it had an orange exterior jacket) for the 30A feed by the foot at Lowe's, HD only sold it in larger rolls.
earl84
Donating Member

Return to Electrical Secrets