Parallel circuit connections

Anything electric, AC or DC

Postby vttrampers » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:02 am

Hi all

As will become clear from this posting, I am completely new to the world of automotive-style wiring. I have laid out my wiring plan (thanks mostly to the excellent store of information and guidance from participants on this website) but now I find myself confused over the simple question of wire connections. Many of my connections will not be accessible without opening walls after the teardrop is finished so I definitely want to get this right. I have read that simple wire nut connections (like home wiring) are not adequate due to loosening from vibration and potential moisture issues. Advice on marine and automotive websites suggests that soldering weakens the wire and soldered joints are subject to breaking with vibration. So I figured I would follow the general advice and use crimp and heat-seal connectors. My question is: what do you do when you need to splice more than 2 wires, as with connections for lights wired in parallel? I have seen 3-wire crimp connectors on line but they appear to be very uncommon. The PosiTap and Posi-Twist connectors (found those on line too) look like they would work, but it seems like there must be a simple solution.

What am I missing??
:thinking:
vttrampers
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Parallel circuit connections

Postby working on it » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:44 am

vttrampers wrote:... The PosiTap and Posi-Twist connectors (found those on line too) look like they would work....
I love using Posi-Lock products. I've been using the same ones, over and over, on a long line of automotive projects since the 90's. Especially underdash (back when I was still flexible enough to work there), where I found them easier to use than crimping, uncrimping, re-crimping connections as I changed components time and again. My crimps were never that good anyway, so the positive lock that Posi-Locks always provide gave me assurance that my connections were good to go. My favorite type is the original Posi-Lock,
original Posi-Lock.PNG
original Posi-Lock.PNG (246.22 KiB) Viewed 2242 times
though I've used them all. I used to carry a few in my pocket, back when I was racing, just for quick fixes (usually on other racer's cars -I also always had tubes of radiator stop-leak, though not in my pocket-). Over the last few years, I seem to have run out of them, and have been using up my stock of standard connectors, even on my trailer, so it's time to get more. I recently chased a bad lighting fault on my TTT when a crimped connection pulled loose; I replaced the crimp connector with a Posi-Lock that I found at the bottom of my truck box. Yep, time to get more (they are worth the extra cost).
Posi-Lock products.png
Posi-Lock products.png (95.85 KiB) Viewed 2242 times
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Socal Tom » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:32 pm

When I have to connect three wires, I usually twist two together and stick them on one end of the solderless connector. Fwiw, I don't worry about using heat sealed connections on indoor connections. The standard solderless connectors will be fine. Just get the good crimping tool like this ( you can probably get it cheaper elsewhere) Titan Tools 11477 Ratcheting Wire Terminal Crimper https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0069TRKJ0/re ... 4ybM1XX552
Tom

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby John61CT » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:35 pm

Heat-shrink step-down butt connectors, put the two wires in the big end.

https://www.amazon.com/IMPERIAL-71889-H ... B001ESXENC
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby noseoil » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:01 am

I use solder connections & heat shrink tubing over them for all splices & joints, no problems ever. The wires don't move around that much in a build & I don't trust any other type of connectors.
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby IndyTom » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:53 pm

I'm with noseoil on this one. I am wiring my running light right now and and all the connections are soldered( with lead based solder)and wrapped in heat shrink tubing.

Tom
Never trust a skinny cook

My build thread:http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36226

IndyTom
500 Club

Postby John61CT » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:29 pm

I personally wouldn't bury a connection like that, if in the future someone overloads that circuit or something else goes wrong that's the piece going to get hottest first.

But I am more cautious than most about such things, happy to pay a bit more to ensure continuous runs where buried.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby vttrampers » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:10 pm

Thanks all!

I feel much better about pressing on - it looks like there several ways to deal with the connections!
vttrampers
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Electrical Secrets