Battery cutoff switch

Anything electric, AC or DC

Re: Battery cutoff switch

Postby Tom&Shelly » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:38 pm

bdosborn wrote:I've had great luck with a Yandina combiner. It's not that expensive and it's been working in our trailer since 2010 or so.

http://www.yandina.com/c100InfoR3.htm

It combines when either the trailer is charging (solar or battery charger) or the truck is charging. Disconnects when the trailer is running on batteries. It's also little so it doesn't take up nearly as much room as most combiners do.

Bruce

That's interesting! Thanks Bruce, and glad to hear from you. I particularly respect your knowledge of things electrical from your past posts.

Guess if we decide to use a combiner like this we will need to have the auxiliary power from the TV wired so it is connected to the starter battery, even with the ignition off.

I'm intrigued by the idea of the shore power or (eventually) solar panel charging the starter battery as well as the house battery. The PD4045 has a 3 stage converter, and I wonder how that will behave with a starter battery in parallel? Guess the worst would be that it skips the boost charge and goes right to normal, if, say, the starter battery were strong and the house battery were depleted. Anyway, if you've had it going on 8 years, it must be okay.

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:51 pm

Not so sure about that company that makes the combiner though. They also sell this:

http://www.yandina.com/hints.htm#dinghy

My brother has a dinghy he tied with their knot, and I ordered one so I could learn to untie it and borrow the boat when he wasn't looking. Tried for hours to get the darn thing untied! Complained to the company, but they refused to give me a refund! :lol:
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby John61CT » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:02 pm

Tom&Shelly wrote:Not so sure about that company that makes the combiner though. They also sell this:

http://www.yandina.com/hints.htm#dinghy

My brother has a dinghy he tied with their knot, and I ordered one so I could learn to untie it and borrow the boat when he wasn't looking. Tried for hours to get the darn thing untied! Complained to the company, but they refused to give me a refund!

Now that's priceless! She must have a foolproof bulldust detector
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby John61CT » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:08 pm

Tom&Shelly wrote:I wonder how that will behave with a starter battery in parallel? Guess the worst would be that it skips the boost charge and goes right to normal, if, say, the starter battery were strong and the house battery were depleted

No House being larger will dramatically pull the overall circuit down.

Starter won't accept much current being near full, 99% goes to House as needed.

None of this has to do with smart gear, just physics and chemistry.

In connecting TV with a trailer need to ensure (test that) connections and combining wires are robust enough to not drop voltage too much.

Blue Sea Circuit Wizard is a great tool to take the various factors into account.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Socal Tom » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:38 am

I haven't tried that combiner, but I have tried several other fancy electronic gadgets and they all failed. What did work was a constant duty solenoid. Starter battery on one side, house battery on the other side ( or in this case it could be the charge wire to the trailer), the trigger gets attached to a "key on" wire. Cheap, simple easy to bypass if there is a need.
Tom

http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threa ... tup-for-50
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Previous

Return to Electrical Secrets