Anyone skip the electrical systems entirely?

Anything electric, AC or DC

Anyone skip the electrical systems entirely?

Postby Billinthedesert » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:16 am

I have no ambition to run TVs or AC units if I build a TT, and got to thinking that buying a few AA batteries from time to time to run a few simple LED reading lights would likely cover 99 percent of my needs -- and I wouldn't have to worry about wiring, charging systems and all that stuff, weight and expense. To cover my tookas in future, my thought is I could still install a few "chases" in strategic spots so that if I or some other owner in future wanted to wire the thing, it could be done. I've managed to do lots of camping over the years without power using Coleman lanterns of various types. The one place I can see really wanting some juice is to run something like a Fantastic Fan. Not sure what the workaround for that might be, but I am guessing there is one.
Billinthedesert
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Anyone skip the electrical systems entirely?

Postby ae6black » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:47 am

Sounds like a plan. To cover both bases, you could just make a water tight port through the cabin wall to pass an electric cord. Little ceramic heater does wonders when it gets below zero. You may decide you want power after all seeing as how it's not uncommon to heat up on a hot summer day at least 10 degrees hotter inside than outside just by body heat. A fantastic fan is seen by some as a necessity for what becomes obvious when you desperately need air movement. In the seven or so years that I've been camping out of my unit in Pennsylvania, keeping warm isn't an issue, staying cool is. That said it's pretty popular to mount an ac unit outside the cabin and just run air and return hoses through the wall to the unit outside your camper.

Art
ae6black
Silver Donating Member

Postby Billinthedesert » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:58 am

That makes some sense, ae6. I am more concerned about heating than cooling, although it can also get plenty cold here in the desert and of course, up in the mountains. I can go from my house at 4,600 feet to over 9,000 feet in the Sacramento mountains in about 25 minutes.
Billinthedesert
Teardrop Advisor

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:11 am

My first build was super bare bones, and I did end up eventually adding a small battery and running wires through surface-applied wire molding. Designing it with the electrical chases in mind would be a good idea. If/when it comes time to sell, having electric is certainly a strong selling point. Even if you don't necessarily have it installed, at least it could be.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby Billinthedesert » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:37 am

I am seeing quite a few options for battery-operated fans. A lot of them get lousy reviews, but I would be there are a few out there that would work for a TT.

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN ... redfans-20
Billinthedesert
Teardrop Advisor

Postby bobhenry » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:55 pm

Re: Fans ~~~ the O2Kool ones are great ! One model is 120 ac or 12 volt DC and also carries 8 D batteries as a 3rd option. They really move the air and seem to hold up well and require very few amps per hour. And as an answer to the thread question NO I did not skip the electrics I was redundant and also wired in 12 volt DC lighting as a off grid backup.

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Billinthedesert » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:24 pm

Ah, yes, Bob, but you see, you know what you are doing, unlike meinzelf ...
Billinthedesert
Teardrop Advisor

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:01 pm

:question: Simple Electrical System...: http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=37732

For heat, you'd probably be okay with a Heater Buddy. They run on propane.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby KTM_Guy » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:32 pm

I don't see a need for 120v for the camping we do. Mostly because there is no AC power where we like to camp. But for us we need 12v, mostly for LED lights, the roof fan, and most important to charge all the devices, phones (used for Nav and camera mostly), iPads, cameras, com radio. I'm sure I missed a few other batteries that need to be charged. I would at least run a few wires to some 12v cigarette style plugs and you can use the USB adapters with them. Plus a simple cabin and galley LED light. You can probably get away with a 35 or 50 amp-hour battery.

I got this light for the cabin and really like it. Dims low and is more than bright enough.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06ZZ ... UTF8&psc=1
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Postby bobhenry » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:07 pm

Billinthedesert wrote:Ah, yes, Bob, but you see, you know what you are doing, unlike meinzelf ...

Ain't nothin' but a thing ! Here is how simple it can be.... an extension cord thru the wall cavity and attached to a duplex outlet. The only thing to remember in black on gold screw and white on silver screw and the green is ground at the bottom.

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Billinthedesert » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:37 pm

Bob, Sharon, I appreciate how simple it can be to set up a TD for 120, but virtually all the places I envision using one would require 12-volt, which seems a lot more complicated.
Billinthedesert
Teardrop Advisor

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:52 pm

Billinthedesert wrote:Bob, Sharon, I appreciate how simple it can be to set up a TD for 120, but virtually all the places I envision using one would require 12-volt, which seems a lot more complicated.

Okay, just get yourself some puck lights and a lantern. You'll be fine. :)
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby videographer » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:14 am

By far the easiest way to do this is to get a Goal Zero Yeti 400 or similar...

https://www.amazon.com/Goal-Zero-400-Rechargeable-Generator/dp/B06WVDG9BS

(This is the new lithium-battery version, far lighter [and more expensive] than the lead-acid version I have.) This incorporates energy storage, an inverter and transformer into a single appliance. On the 12v output, my unit can run my Fantastic Fan for about a day on low speed. You won't be running air conditioning off of it, but you didn't want that. This and some LED lights would keep you more than happy. And if you do need some AC somewhere down the road you are covered.
videographer
Teardrop Advisor

Postby tony.latham » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:26 am

I had a teardrop that didn't have a fan. Never again.

You could surely go with battery operated LED lights. But it's sure nice to charge phones and preheat the bed on cold nights with a 12V electric blanket. But that fan...

A 12V system is cheap and simple––and damn handy. Battery, fuse block, wires, and whatever you want to power. Consider using a little 35 amp wheelchair battery.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Billinthedesert » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:51 am

Tony, thanks for the suggestions. I do realize a fan is a key component for sleeping comfort.
Videographer, I was totally unaware of the battery-powered generators, which I see can be recharged with a relatively small solar panel.
Billinthedesert
Teardrop Advisor

Next

Return to Electrical Secrets