Help Needed Budgeting 30 amps...

Anything electric, AC or DC

Help Needed Budgeting 30 amps...

Postby FlyBye » Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:20 pm

Once upon a time (before I started my cargo conversion), I thought that the juice/electric would be nearly infinite for the humble 7x16 trailer I was building. Now I'm wondering if I've installed way too many power hungry gadgets. Plus, I was wanting to purchase a dual fuel inverter/generator this weekend, but I'm not sure the ones available will be stout enough for the task. Any insights, suggestions or just the cold hard facts would be appreciated in these three areas...

1) 15,000 btu AC w/ heat strip; Magic Chef Fridge model # HVDR430SE, Rated Voltage 115V, Rated Current 1.5A, Power Input 120W;
Samsung 32" Smart TV model # UN32J5500AF, 110-120V, 80W, Typical Power 26W;
Lights: One 2 lamp 4' LED Strip Light 4,500 Lumens, 50 Input Watts, 80 CRI; Three 2 lamp 2' LED Strip Lights...
Cooking Gadgets: Med. Crock Pot, Hot Plate
Five Receptacles for Lap Top Computer, Phone Charger...
Can both the AC and Fridge run continually? Would watching TV while the AC, Fridge are running be possible? Oh, how about with lights on?

2) I had hoped that I would be able to hook the Fridge up to a deep cycle battery with inverter while traveling to the camp sites/destinations. Six to 12 hours of traveling? Is this wishful thinking or are there deep cycle batteries that have enough amp hours for the task? I'm confused on just how much power would be required for the fridge.

3) I'm tempted on getting the Champion 3500 Duel Fuel Inverter Generator, but not sure if it would be adequate for my needs, and to make it worse I was wanting to run it primary on the propane. If this generator will not meet the needs... What do other 30 amp RVers do that have way more stuff than I would be using?

Thanks
FlyBye's 7x16 Cargo Camper Build
http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=69287
FlyBye
Teardrop Master

Re: Help Needed Budgeting 30 amps...

Postby FlyBye » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:05 pm

I found me a pretty cool gadget that most of y'all are probably familiar with, but its news to me and maybe will be able to assist someone else also.
It's called a "Kill A Watt" electricity usage monitor. I picked this one up at Harbor Freight. This should clue me in on the complete true wattage and amps used on the mid-sized fridge when the compressor kicks in/off during a 12 hour period. I'll also check out the 32" Smart TV and see what it truly uses. I am almost for sure I won't be able to hook it up to a sound bar :-)
FlyBye
Teardrop Master

Postby GuitarPhotog » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:57 pm

I'd be more concerned with the hot plate. A typical hot plate uses 1500 W, and even 6 minutes is 150 WH, as for the 15 KBTU AC, I think that's going to be right out unless you have a generator or shore power. 15 KBTU is 4.4 KWH. You can't carry a large enough battery bank and inverter to run that. That's going to require an 7500-8000 W generator to run reliably.
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby FlyBye » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:55 pm

GuitarPhotog wrote:I'd be more concerned with the hot plate. A typical hot plate uses 1500 W, and even 6 minutes is 150 WH, as for the 15 KBTU AC, I think that's going to be right out unless you have a generator or shore power. 15 KBTU is 4.4 KWH. You can't carry a large enough battery bank and inverter to run that. That's going to require an 7500-8000 W generator to run reliably.

I can temporally turn off or turn down whatever is required to use the hot plate for a few minutes to scramble some eggs :-)
But I think you misunderstood the desired role of the battery with inverter... My desire is to just run the fridge while driving to the campsite. When at the campsite, I'll plug into the campground's 30 amp electrical supply. I just purchased (this evening) a 3500 duel fuel inverter generator to hopefully run the AC, Fridge and Lights. So the battery would just be convenience so I could stock it with goodies before leaving. Then switch to shore power once arriving at the campground.
FlyBye
Teardrop Master

Postby Ottsville » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:32 am

Our local library has those "kill a watt" things available for check out.

With 3500 watts you should be fine. My biggest concern wpuld be AC kicking on and the hot plate going but remember, you are rarely running multiple things at peak draw at the same time.
Ottsville
The 300 Club

Postby troubleScottie » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:59 pm

Assuming you are running the inverter/battery while driving ( to get AC power), you might consider bringing DC from the Tow Vehicle (TV) to the trailer. Your TV alternator/generator should have extra power to help charge the battery. The extra wires would be outside the TV harness whether 4 or 7 pin. Look up Anderson connectors. I cannot recall the gauge wire needed -- 4 or 6 or 8, about 2 - 20' lengths ( battery of TV to trailer battery) You would need a continuous on relay to turn on/off the power as needed.

Also, you might have to have a high end inverter for the frig. Generally pure sine wave inverters are needed for motors and electronics eg frig compressor.
Michael Krolewski
Scottish Terrier Fancier
troubleScottie
Donating Member

Return to Electrical Secrets