12v for the Minimalist Weekender

Anything electric, AC or DC

Re: 12v for the Minimalist Weekender

Postby DoctahDeane » Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:12 am

Here's a crazy question for crazy times...the guy who built this trailer has a box underneath where, in theory, the battery should go. There's a hatch cover under the floor/mattress that is easily removed. The vertical tolerance is going to be very tight in that spot. I need to put the battery in the tray to hold it in place and see if the hatch will still close. If it does not, is it possible to put the battery on its side, rather than normal vertical position? It's a sealed battery so thinking it might be OK but not sure.
I keep stimulants handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy. W.C.Fields
DoctahDeane
Lifetime member

Postby tony.latham » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:28 am

DoctahDeane wrote:Here's a crazy question for crazy times...the guy who built this trailer has a box underneath where, in theory, the battery should go. There's a hatch cover under the floor/mattress that is easily removed. The vertical tolerance is going to be very tight in that spot. I need to put the battery in the tray to hold it in place and see if the hatch will still close. If it does not, is it possible to put the battery on its side, rather than normal vertical position? It's a sealed battery so thinking it might be OK but not sure.

6. Can my AGM battery be installed in any position?
The AGM and Gel batteries can be mounted on their sides with no problems, but should not be mounted upside down.

Source: https://www.batterystuff.com/kb/frequently-asked-questions/powersports-batteries-faq/power-sports-battery-faq.html

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby DoctahDeane » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:42 am

tony.latham wrote:
DoctahDeane wrote:Here's a crazy question for crazy times...the guy who built this trailer has a box underneath where, in theory, the battery should go. There's a hatch cover under the floor/mattress that is easily removed. The vertical tolerance is going to be very tight in that spot. I need to put the battery in the tray to hold it in place and see if the hatch will still close. If it does not, is it possible to put the battery on its side, rather than normal vertical position? It's a sealed battery so thinking it might be OK but not sure.

6. Can my AGM battery be installed in any position?
The AGM and Gel batteries can be mounted on their sides with no problems, but should not be mounted upside down.

Source: https://www.batterystuff.com/kb/frequently-asked-questions/powersports-batteries-faq/power-sports-battery-faq.html

Tony

Beautiful - thanks.
I keep stimulants handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy. W.C.Fields
DoctahDeane
Lifetime member

Postby DoctahDeane » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:20 am

I've been trying to determine the best place for the trailer battery. The guy I bought this unfinished project from included s box underneath the bed and dome of the outlet wires are already routed there. I figured that by the time I put the battery in the pan I bought for it that there's no way it would fit vertically but looks like I will have 1/4" or 1/2" top spare. A stroke of luck. I can't see any reason not to put the fuse box down there too. Not to most convenient but it'll free up space elsewhere.

As I look underneath to where wires and PVC pipe for the propane line are routed, I see the occasional gap and wondering if anyone has a recommendation for caulking that would be best to use in the harsh outside environment - plywood gaps here and there (very small), screwheads - stuff like that. I assume it will need to be some sort of silicon based product to flexibility and stretch. Just wondering if anyone has used product you really like.
DoctahDeane
Lifetime member

Postby tony.latham » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:16 am

I assume it will need to be some sort of silicon based product to flexibility and stretch. Just wondering if anyone has used product you really like.

Silicone is in my past. The biggest issue I have with it is that nothing will stick to where it's been. Not even silicone.

I've switched over to OSI clear polyurethane gutter sealant. There are several good poly sealants out there but OSI is what I can get locally.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby DoctahDeane » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:23 am

OK great thanks for that recommendation. "Get locally" is my problem with store restrictions. But at least I know what to order. Keeping UPS pretty busy and my dog on full alert.
DoctahDeane
Lifetime member

Postby DoctahDeane » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:23 am

Battery locked down in place, as is charger. Gotta get a hole saw so that I can plug in from the side but making good progress, now - thanks to all the great advice.

Fusebox next. I see quite a few people have the FB in the galley area or perhaps in a cabinet inside. Any reason NOT to install in the under trailer box where IU have the battery? Seems like it'd be nice to have all electrical in one spot and no matter where I put it, I'm going to be dealing with a "completed" trailer that did not get the wiring in place, first, so I'll be drilling a hole here and there, no matter what.
DoctahDeane
Lifetime member

Postby tony.latham » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:37 am

Any reason NOT to install in the under trailer box where IU have the battery?

Not that I am aware of, as long as you can semi-easily access it.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby DoctahDeane » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:08 am

Good answer, thank you, T :thumbsup:
DoctahDeane
Lifetime member

Postby DoctahDeane » Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:31 pm

Tony - does this look OK? Before I connect everything want to be sure. The battery is solid in the pan, but in the literature that comes with the Genius charger, they say "not too close to the battery." I could move the charger to the galley under the sink and run the wires to the battery but they are unlikely to be long enough, so ends up being more of a hassle, where this is all contained in one spot. I would intend to charge with the hatch off and the door open so not worried about that part. Fusebox is on the left.

DoctahDeane
Lifetime member

Postby bdosborn » Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:29 pm

The issue with having the charger close to the battery is the acid vapor the battery spews when charging. It will eat up the charger over time. All the wood around where I had lead acid batteries is black from the acid and rotted out. Also, they emit hydrogen gas when charging so you don't want them in an enclosed box. Same is true for AGM, they occasionally vent and H2 gas comes out. You need a little venting, it doesn't take much. I used a couple of soffit vents, one low and one high.

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby DoctahDeane » Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:40 pm

bdosborn wrote:The issue with having the charger close to the battery is the acid vapor the battery spews when charging. It will eat up the charger over time. All the wood around where I had lead acid batteries is black from the acid and rotted out. Also, they emit hydrogen gas when charging so you don't want them in an enclosed box. Same is true for AGM, they occasionally vent and H2 gas comes out. You need a little venting, it doesn't take much. I used a couple of soffit vents, one low and one high.

Bruce

OK thanks very much for that. I was getting so many different answers as I researched this. Interesting that you describe it this way as I was thinking today that maybe I should cut a little door on hinges with weatherstripping (to keep water out) that I could open when charging but sounds like you are saying that the soffits should be open ALL the time, not just when charging? If that's true then the challenge will be to keep airflow happening but keep water out as this box sits underneath the trailer.
DoctahDeane
Lifetime member

Postby bdosborn » Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:07 pm

I stuffed a little filter material in the soffit vents to keep the dirt out. One of these up high on the box, facing the back of the trailer would probably be enough:

2" round louver

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:31 pm

DoctahDeane wrote:Tony - does this look OK? Before I connect everything want to be sure. The battery is solid in the pan, but in the literature that comes with the Genius charger, they say "not too close to the battery." I could move the charger to the galley under the sink and run the wires to the battery but they are unlikely to be long enough, so ends up being more of a hassle, where this is all contained in one spot. I would intend to charge with the hatch off and the door open so not worried about that part. Fusebox is on the left.

It looks good to me.

And when Osborn speaks, I listen.

Tony

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby DoctahDeane » Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:36 am

And when Osborn speaks, I listen.

Tony

Yes, I believe, I'll be doing that going forward, too. Thanks to both of you. Great tip on the soffits, which I have already ordered. Nice that I can get 2" size and use the same hole saw as for the power connection top outside world. Have a good weekend, guys and thanks for all the help.
DoctahDeane
Lifetime member

PreviousNext

Return to Electrical Secrets