12v for the Minimalist Weekender

Anything electric, AC or DC

Re: 12v for the Minimalist Weekender

Postby DoctahDeane » Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:38 am

Tony - your book, p. 116 -> you show your nice instrument cluster. I have a nice piece of cherry wood I plan to use for something similar. How did you do the cutouts for the individual gauges? Did you use a jigsaw, or perhaps a plunge router?
I keep stimulants handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy. W.C.Fields
DoctahDeane
Lifetime member

Postby tony.latham » Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:47 am

DoctahDeane wrote:Tony - your book, p. 116 -> you show your nice instrument cluster. I have a nice piece of cherry wood I plan to use for something similar. How did you do the cutouts for the individual gauges? Did you use a jigsaw, or perhaps a plunge router?

Good question. :thinking:

The faceplate is 1/8" Baltic so it was easy to fit everything –-the gauge snapped right into place.

I cut the round holes with Forstner bits and the rectangles with a fine-toothed blade in the jigsaw. I recall a bit of Dremel work for fitment but since the ply was thin, it was an easy job.

Here's the backside:

:frightened:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby DoctahDeane » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:08 am

with a fine-toothed blade in the jigsaw.

yeah that was what I was thinking, drill a hole in the corner large enough for the jigsaw blade. Thanks for the rear photo, that helps. This is so weird....I'm getting closer and closer to almost off the grid camping possibilities in the middle of a quarantine. I told my friend that worst case, I'll park it in my lower field, plug in my Fender amp and let loose with some power chords at 3AM to fight back against the nut that has been shooting off his gun in the middle of the night.

Thanks, bud for all the advice.
I keep stimulants handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy. W.C.Fields
DoctahDeane
Lifetime member

Postby tony.latham » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:10 am

Thanks, bud for all the advice.

I hope it's good..... :thinking: :thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby DoctahDeane » Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:57 pm

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who has put up with some of my very basic questions over the past few months. Today I made a little console for the gauges that will sit in the galley - a USB plug, battery gauge, etc. - it's cherry wood and the biggest excitement was breaking two jig saw blades. One of the things that this virus lockdown has shown me is to look for creative solutions on hand, especially when things I have ordered are not showing up. Anyway, I rigged up the connections from the battery to the fusebox and then tried wiring an existing outlet to the fusebox - nothing. Took a break, came back, then decided to simplify. Disconnect the battery charger, just run a fused positive wire to fusebox and basic ground wire, then I took one of the new reading lamps I got and wired to fuse box. Nothing?? I wonder if I reversed the wire colors? That seems strange but in any event BINGO!! Now I know the everything works and it's all cosmetic from here on. Once I get it all set I will post a few pictures but just wanted to say how grateful I am for you help and advice and for you book, Tony. Stay safe and really hope to see you camping some day.

Dr. D
DoctahDeane
Lifetime member

Postby DoctahDeane » Tue May 05, 2020 3:47 pm

Any thoughts appreciated - interior lights working, fan is working, deep cycle battery recharging all good. Ordered Forstner bits (here by Saturday) so then I can do the galley gauges. One strange thing...coming into the under trailer box were two separate wire strands. Most were red/white and so easy connection to fusebox for the lights and fan. The other wire stand has three wires inside the sheath - green (ground, obviously) and white and black. My assumption was that both the green and the white ought to go to the negative side of the fusebox and the black is hot. Yes, have a 7.5A fuse in the right slot. No juice. I believe this wire stand is for the standard outlets (one inside and one in galley) but considering i did not build this trailer...I did switch the white and black with no success. There's not really a neutral bus in the Blue Sea fusebox so that's why I assumed two wires ought to go to negative. Not a huge deal, I can just run new wire from the outlets but prefer not to drill new holes etc. Thought I should check with you folks (Tony :D ) first because my Electricity 101 understanding might be off, somehow?
DoctahDeane
Lifetime member

Postby tony.latham » Tue May 05, 2020 4:09 pm

One strange thing...coming into the under trailer box were two separate wire strands. Most were red/white and so easy connection to fusebox for the lights and fan.

The other wire stand has three wires inside the sheath - green (ground, obviously) and white and black. My assumption was that both the green and the white ought to go to the negative side of the fusebox and the black is hot. Yes, have a 7.5A fuse in the right slot. No juice.

I believe this wire stand is for the standard outlets (one inside and one in galley) but considering i did not build this trailer...I did switch the white and black with no success.

"Standard outlets?" Are you talking about 120V outlets? Or 12V (cigarette lighter type) outlets?

It almost sounds like the cabin is rough-wired for 120 volts and if that's the case, you'll need an inverter. Open up those "standard" outlets and see if it's the same wire.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby bdosborn » Tue May 05, 2020 4:31 pm

Careful, green white and black wires in a sheath are 120v.
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby DoctahDeane » Tue May 05, 2020 6:21 pm

bdosborn wrote:Careful, green white and black wires in a sheath are 120v.
Bruce

I believe that must be true since I'm pretty sure that they go back to the outlets which woiukld be 120v, right? When y ou say "careful" what do you mean, Bruce? I mean, I know what it means :) but careful, how - like what should I be doing?
DoctahDeane
Lifetime member

Postby bdosborn » Tue May 05, 2020 6:52 pm

DoctahDeane wrote:My assumption was that both the green and the white ought to go to the negative side of the fusebox and the black is hot. Yes, have a 7.5A fuse in the right slot. No juice. I believe this wire stand is for the standard outlets (one inside and one in galley) but considering i did not build this trailer...I did switch the white and black with no success.

It soundedd like you are wiring the 120V hot and neutral to your 12V system, don't do that. Don't tie the neutral and the ground together, they need to be separate all the way from the shore power connector through your trailer. And don't switch the hot and neutral in case someone incorrectly tied the neutral and ground together somewhere.

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby DoctahDeane » Fri May 08, 2020 3:03 pm

tony.latham wrote:
DoctahDeane wrote:Tony - your book, p. 116 -> you show your nice instrument cluster. I have a nice piece of cherry wood I plan to use for something similar. How did you do the cutouts for the individual gauges? Did you use a jigsaw, or perhaps a plunge router?

Good question. :thinking:

The faceplate is 1/8" Baltic so it was easy to fit everything –-the gauge snapped right into place.

I cut the round holes with Forstner bits and the rectangles with a fine-toothed blade in the jigsaw. I recall a bit of Dremel work for fitment but since the ply was thin, it was an easy job.

Here's the backside:

Tony

Hey Tony - the battery gauge that you pointed me to and that I have. I'll run 14GA wire to the battery. Did you find a terminal connector for the battery that accepts 14GA wire? It's kind of a big connector for a small wire so wondered if you found anything that you liked and that works ok
DoctahDeane
Lifetime member

Postby tony.latham » Fri May 08, 2020 5:23 pm

I'll run 14GA wire to the battery.

I used 12 AWG. And had them on hand. It may not be FAA approved but you can double that piece of exposed wire and crimp over both pieces.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby DoctahDeane » Fri May 08, 2020 6:56 pm

tony.latham wrote:

I used 12 AWG. And had them on hand. It may not be FAA approved but you can double that piece of exposed wire and crimp over both pieces.

Tony

Yeah, makes sense. Thanks, Tony
DoctahDeane
Lifetime member

YAHOO: 12v for the Minimalist Weekender

Postby DoctahDeane » Sun May 10, 2020 8:15 am

DoctahDeane wrote:
tony.latham wrote:

Tony

Yeah, makes sense. Thanks, Tony

I have the utmost admiration from all "build from scratch" folks here, especially you, Tony but I'd like to put in a shout out for the retro-fitters, too. OMG, not sure I'll ever unkink after spending most of yesterday underneath the trailer in contorted positions. But, success. Please see photos, very excited. That is a nice piece of cherry wood i used. Overkill for sure but it looks nice and is solid. Best of all, everything now works :D Man, those instructions from Asia were a little challenging!

Probably not my last dumb question but here goes - I set up the battery gauge to monitor decreasing capacity, basically so I'll know when I am approaching the recharge zone. I have loosely figured usage and I do not have any energy hogs so once I get out there, I'll confirm, but guessing I'll be fine for a few days and maybe more than few.

Right now, almost fully charged, new battery is showing 12.71. I know you are not supposed to go below 50% capacity with these deep cycle batteries. So, what number am I watching out for? In other words, when you're down to xx.xx it's time to recharge or you are approaching less than 50%?

Next up, after tweaking all latches and testing propane will be solar. One more time: big thanks for the help.

DoctahDeane
Lifetime member

Postby tony.latham » Sun May 10, 2020 8:28 am

I know you are not supposed to go below 50% capacity with these deep cycle batteries. So, what number am I watching out for?

12 volts. But you may notice as soon as you turn something on, the voltage drops. To actually monitor the battery, you need to wait at least thirty minutes after any load has been put on the battery and then take a look at it. It's called resting voltage. An hour is better.

Nice looking setup. You need to go camp. So do we.

:beer:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Electrical Secrets