12 volt Wiring - switch location

Anything electric, AC or DC

Re: 12 volt Wiring - switch location

Postby Rusty99 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:38 pm

MtnDon wrote:OK. One switch operating everything and all six lights have their own independent switch as well.

There will be a fuse at the battery, right? (In the + wire)

Is there some real reason to run the wires down the side opposite the switch? That means more wire un-necessarily. Simpler.

What I would do?... Run twin wires (red and black) from the battery/fuse down the switch side to the switch. The red (+) feeds into the switch. The output side of the switch runs a red/black pair to the pair of lights towards the front. Another red/black pair runs to the middle pair of lights. A third red/black pair runs to the third pair of lights.

The red/black wires run from the first light in each pair to the last light in a parallel configuration. That way even if you turn the first light off with the fixtures switch the power continues to the second light in the pair. Depending on how those lights are made you may have to figure out how to connect to the first light and on to the second. You may need space behind the light for the splitting of the red/black to the first light in the pair and on to the last. Wire nuts, whatever.

If the wiring must be on the side opposite the switch, that can work; just uses more wire. But the need to feed the switch first from the battery/fuse is still a necessity. Then the red/black pair can feed whatever lights you want. In other words, in your diagram run the red/black from the battery/fuse directly to the switch. Pass the red through the switch. Then ren red/black to all the lights, one after the other in a parallel configuration. You should be able to remove a light completely or have it fail, and the power (red/black) should still be available downstream.

Seems like a lot of lights unless that is a very big trailer.

Hi Don,

I must say a big thank you for your input so far it has given me hope that I can get this done. My project has been stalled since 2015 & I am determined to get it done by spring.

From you advice above when I run the twin red/black pair from the battery/fuse to the switch. What do I do with the black on both ends (input & output) side of switch? Do I connect black to something or is it not used?

Also wondering when connecting the lights together where does black connect on each of the 2 wires on the LED lights?

Attaching new diagram for feedback please.

Thanks Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rusty99
Teardrop Inspector

Re: 12 volt Wiring - switch location

Postby Rusty99 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:28 pm

Just found this diagram, back to the drawing board for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rusty99
Teardrop Inspector

Previous

Return to Electrical Secrets