8X16 enclosed trailer with 120V wiring

Anything electric, AC or DC

8X16 enclosed trailer with 120V wiring

Postby Saul503 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:24 pm

Hi all! my name is Saul. I'm new to this forum. I've been reading old posts/threads and doing some homework. I purchased a V nose 8x16 enclosed trailer to haul my SxS with, plus something to sleep in on my weekend trips. I'm not doing a camper conversion but I am wanting to add electrical to it. I'm in the process of gutting the inside so I can wire it up and insulate it. I plan on adding cabinets up front in the V nose with a small sink to wash my hands and face & a small 2 burner propane fed cook top, mini fridge, small microwave, TV & interior + exterior LED lighting.

I want to wire everything to be 120V. I do not want to mess with anything 12V. Plan is to wire up 2 plugs above the cabinets, 2 plugs inside the cabinets, 2 plugs in the middle of the trailer and 1 exterior plug out front next to the side door (most likely for a traeger) & outside cooking.
I'll be adding a 20A 120V and 30A shore power hook ups. I plan on buying a 2200 watt Honda generator to charge 2 batteries with a converter. I'm looking at getting 2 - 6V interstate extreme cycle batteries each with 225Ah for a total of 450Ah and a 1000watt inverter for when shore power is not available. I really want to add a mini fridge but I'm trying to figure out what the best way to go about it is. The fridge i'm looking at is a 120V fridge that is supposed to draw .98k watts per day. 980 watts at 120V brings us to a 8.2A draw per day. How long will my batteries be able to run the fridge? Is a 1000watt inverter too much or not enough? Does everything I'm buying sound okay? How often will I have to use the generator to charge the batteries? Goal is to use the generator as least as possible. I'm mainly doing 2-3 day weekend trips but I do have a 5 day camping trip planned this summer and I'm trying to get all of this done and figured out. Thanks!

Product List:
2200 watt honda generator
2- 6v 225Ah Interstate batteries (GC2-ECL-UTL)
PowerMax 55A 12V Power Supply (converter)
1000 watt (2000W surge) pure sine wave inverter
Saul503
Teardrop Inspector

Re: 8X16 enclosed trailer with 120V wiring

Postby John61CT » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:50 pm

That is IMO a foolish approach if you plan to spend much time off grid.

A focus on energy efficiency above all will not only lower costs dramatically - up front and ongoing - but give better results.

Generally that means avoiding AC powered devices as much as possible.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Electrical Secrets