Renogy DC/DC install

Anything electric, AC or DC

Re: Renogy DC/DC install

Postby bdosborn » Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:22 pm

tony.latham wrote:
support sucks (visit our forum!)

Sheeeesh.

Tony

The settings issue is pretty irritating to me. They've known the manual was wrong since the charger came out but won't fix the manual or post settings in the forums (at least when I checked last). I posted in the forum asking for the correct settings and never got an answer. :x Victron has good manuals, I should have waited for their DC-DC charger...

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby RJ Howell » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:06 pm

Problem found! No thanks to Renogy... A EE friend stopped by today and we went over the install. Wiring was good, both from battery and DC+. After scratching our heads he decided to go from the start again, dis-connect and reconnect. We went through every connection and found it!

The DC+ connection on the unit is not the best and that wire just pulled away with little effort. When backing off the screw it felt like it was tighten.. That left the wire gauge was too small for it and I soldered a tip on the wire. Now that is secure! That leaves me with if indeed it goes out, to check that wire's connection.

Renogy Support is awful. No only do they not know about their units, but if you do not place your responses in the correct spot in the email (to them anyway), they consider it blank and write back a nasty gram.. of how I don't know how to correctly respond. Then the questions.. My God this is a child!
He finally called and I learned rather quick he was just as obnoxious in real life as he was on email.. He asked if I would test to see how much amperage was coming on the wire to the unit. I attempted to explain that if the unit is not on, it would be very low (as in mA) or non-existent. It requires a load... he didn't understand what a load means. I was told I was incorrect and if it didn't show more than 10a, I miss wired.. I almost dropped the phone. His insistence to have the DC+ (which he never identified, I figured out what he was speaking of) wired to the ignition. I asked, "You mean something ignition controlled, right?" he said "No, I said the ignition." Again talking to a child.. I explained how the ignition works and asked which part he is referring to for connection. "Where it comes off the alternator." Oh this is just getting worse.. I gave up and said I will take your pictures and email my response..

Renogy Support is a major waste off time and probably just for that reason of making it difficult to return/replace. I will not do business with them again.
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bdosborn » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:28 pm

Thanks for the follow up, I'll definitely steer clear of their products.

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby John61CT » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:15 am

Still a thousand times better than dealing direct with the Ali sellers.

That's all Renogy is anyway, packaging cheap Chinese gear with their branding for consumer channel distribution to the West.

Go with Redarc or Sterling or Victron

yes better build quality and better support

but then don't complain about how expensive it is!
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Previous

Return to Electrical Secrets