Halo light problem

Anything electric, AC or DC

Halo light problem

Postby Brett P » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:47 am

Hi I have been fitting off my switches and power points. All have worked well except for 3 Hella marine halo lights that have been wired the same way as the as the other 5 I have. When you push the button in the led light strip flickers but does not light up, when you push the switch next to it the halo around the first switch dims. If any one has any idea what I have done wrong would be great and help save my hair as i have started pull it out :cry:
Brett P
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Halo light problem

Postby MickinOz » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:07 am

Dunno what a "halo" light is - neither does Doctor Google. Unless it is something to do with glaucoma.
Pictures please.
Edit: I think I have worked out what a halo switch is.
I suggest you go back and have another look.
When you do, please bear in mind this self evident truth:
If three of your switches don't behave like the other 5, you have not wired them the same.
Something is different.
Look for the difference.
Try drawing the circuits you have created.
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Postby green1 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:24 pm

as @MickinOz stated, I'm not 100% sure what you're talking about. But if you're talking lit up switches, they are polarity sensitive (easy to accidentally wire backwards) and the 3rd wire is critical to make it work right. So that's where I'd start. make sure none of the switches are "upside down".
green1
Teardrop Builder

Postby Brett P » Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:31 pm

thanks for the replay gents. Yes I will go over them again and if I can't get them going it will be a call to the auto electrical. For referance a halo light is a small push in button with a light up ring around the the centre switch used a lot in automotive and marine applications. Iwould load a photo have not figured out how to yet :? :D :D
Brett P
Teardrop Inspector

Postby pchast » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:48 pm

If they are LEDs swap the polarity of th e light connections
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby MickinOz » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:59 pm

Brett P wrote:When you push the button in the led light strip flickers but does not light up, when you push the switch next to it the halo around the first switch dims.

This is probably a case of the halo for the first switch being mis-wired so that the return leg is through the second switch somehow.
You see it with tail lights on trailers a lot, if the earth wire breaks, the tail light bulb may still work, until you hit the brakes.
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Postby Brett P » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:51 am

Thanks I am hoping to get a chance to have a look over the weekend. I was thinking the polarity may have been reversed but have check that and it is good so will check the connections on the switches :? :worship:
Brett P
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Electrical Secrets