My rudimentary wiring diagram

Anything electric, AC or DC

My rudimentary wiring diagram

Postby methridge » Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:01 pm

Just checking to make sure all these components will work together as the diagram shows.

Renogy 170ah lithium battery
Renogy 100watt solar panel (with a possible second in parallel)
Victron IP67 Smart Charger, 12v 25amp
Victron SmartSolar MPPT 75/15

Coming off the positive terminal, I have a 40amp breaker, then a master on/off switch, finally to the fuse block before going out to the lights, Dometic cooler, and water pump.

Negative terminal grounded to the trailer chassis, and wired to the negative terminal bus.

Does this make sense? Any limitations or problems with this? Thanks in advance!
Attachments
Electrical diagram v1.png
Electrical diagram v1.png (25.21 KiB) Viewed 972 times
methridge
Teardrop Inspector

Re: My rudimentary wiring diagram

Postby troubleScottie » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:06 pm

Reasonable.

You need/want switches before the pump or lights or cooler, assuming you want to turn them off even when the others are on. Granted there might be switches at the lights. But a central off/on is nicer. Of course your fuse panel may have switches and fuse pairs for each output.

You might want many lights. Again, not required, but a separate set of wires to each light (a home run) means the wire to one light does not affect the others. Also consider wall switches, so you do not have to reach far into the cabin to turn on a light

You might want fuses/circuit breaker and switch between the charger and battery and the battery and the solar mppt. Some might consider it overkill.

Grounding to the trailer is not needed as you are not using the trailer as a ground for anything else.

You may also want to add a SOC device so you know how much battery you have, etc.
Michael Krolewski
Scottish Terrier Fancier
troubleScottie
Donating Member

Re: My rudimentary wiring diagram

Postby tony.latham » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:26 am

Looks good to me.

If you use a fuse box that has a negative bus, you can do away with your bus bar.

You may want to add a meter to monitor battery useage.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013PKYILS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

or...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CTKYFTG/?coliid=I301972QUD0GSE&colid=3DIEP78B3UWPM&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

:thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Return to Electrical Secrets