Add solar panels

Anything electric, AC or DC

Add solar panels

Postby Treeview » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:20 pm

I have to act quick so I'll ask what is probably a basic question that's been answered already. In the mean time I'm going to search too.

Here's where I'm at. I have the opportunity to pickup two 100w portable solar panels. They are wired together and a long cord with small jumper cable clamps. It looks like Id just clamp them to my batteries and let the sun do its thing. How do I know if the batteries are over-charged? I don't see any sort of charge controller included with the solar kit.
My camper has an inverter/converter box that seems to coordinate generator/TV/Shore duties. Am I supposed to wire in the solar to the control panel?

This might be the time to upgrade to a Progressive Dynamics unit.

I hope I don't miss the deal on the panels.

Thanks for any help

Tom
Treeview
The 300 Club

Re: Add solar panels

Postby lfhoward » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:37 pm

The panels should be run through a charge controller so as not to overcharge the batteries and boil off the water. You can pick up a PWM solar controller for cheap, which will do the job, or an MPPT solar controller for slightly more that will be a bit more efficient. Either way as long as the electricity can flow from panels —-> controller —-> battery it doesn’t matter that you have that other charger/TV hookup. Not all charging has to be done by a single device.
My off-road camper build on an M116A3 military chassis:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62581
Tow vehicle: 2008 Jeep Liberty with a 4 inch lift.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby featherliteCT1 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:39 pm

Yes, in any event, you need a charge controller. Some, but not all, portable panels have a small charge controller attached somewhere. If feasible, you might look at the panel for manufacturer and model of panel and google for specs.
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Treeview » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:40 pm

Thanks for that bit of info. More to study
Treeview
The 300 Club

Postby troubleScottie » Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:30 pm

Many of the MPPT solar controllers have 2 DC inputs. So you can use the solar panels on one and the towing vehicle (TV) on the other, though not at the same time. This means you could charge your batteries while you are traveling in a controlled manner. You can do this now or later. Obviously the needs a long run of wire, a fuse, an isolating solenoid, some sort of connection to the trailer eg Anderson connector and a cable to the controller.
Michael Krolewski
Scottish Terrier Fancier
troubleScottie
Donating Member

Postby friz » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:08 pm

Mine have a charge controller affixed to the back of the panels. Might check to see if thats what you have.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby bdosborn » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:59 am

Here's the size of PV controller you'll need it the panels don't have one. 200W/13.5v~15A, so you'll need a 15A charge controller if the panels are in parallel. You could get by with a 10A controller if the panels are in series but watch the PV voltage limit of your controller to make sure you don't exceed it. These are rule of thumb sizes and you should check the controller specs against the specs shown on the portable panels to make sure everything is compatible. Victron has a calculator for their controllers but Victron is more expensive than most controller.
Victron Calculator
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Return to Electrical Secrets