Motorcycle trailer - car wiring

Anything electric, AC or DC

Motorcycle trailer - car wiring

Postby Laura » Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:20 am

I recently picked up a motorcycle tent trailer. Thought the wiring would be simple. Hah!

My old baby Blazer, standard 4 wires: green - right signal and brake, yellow - left signal and brake, brown - running lights, and white -ground.

Trailer wired to pull with motorcycle: yellow wire - left turn signal; green wire - right turn signal; brown wire - running lights; red wire - brake lights; white wire - ground.

I've looked at the converters for imports that have separate circuits for the brake lights and signals, but will it work in reverse if it's the trailer that is wired differently instead of the car?

Without a converter is there a way to arrange the wires that will make the brake lights work independently? We have come up with some rather interesting light configurations - anyone behind us would definitely know we were up to SOMETHING, kinda difficult to tell exactly WHAT though.

I'm Hoping use it as the basis for a solid wall folding tiny trailer someday.

Thanks if anybody can help!
Laura
Laura
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Nitetimes » Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:51 am

I am pretty sure you can use a converter backwards but it would be simpler to change the wires on the trailer. If you eliminate the red wire at the plug then clip it ahead of the lite to give yourself enough to tie into the yellow and green wires (keep sides seperate) you will match up with your vehicle.
No parts to buy or go bad that way and it keeps things simple.
I am just explaining this from how I would expect it to be wired, could be off a little... maybe won't work at all?....but it should. :thinking:
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Re: Motorcycle trailer - car wiring

Postby PaulC » Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:20 am

Laura wrote:
yellow wire - left turn signal; green wire - right turn signal; brown wire - running lights; red wire - brake lights; white wire - ground.

Laura

What's wrong with that? :shock: That's how we do it over here :?
Just kidding. You will find it much cheaper and safer to convert the trailer wiring and lights to suit your vehicle. Mucking around with converters and all will only end up in a stuff up somewhere down the line. JMHO
Cheers
Paul :thumbsup:
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby Laura » Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:53 pm

Thanks guys! Of course I don't need no stinking converter! What was I thinking?

:duh:

Seriously, I freaked out a bit when I saw the spaghetti inside the lights. I'm positive they were designed for a car. Definitely not basic trailer lights. But I need to forget all that junk inside the lights is there and just isolate that red wire at the beginning. Whew.

I put the wiring for electric brakes in place for my Scamp then never used them. I can tap in to the wire off of the brake light switch if I need it.

An interesting trick someone might be able to use - the reverse lights are wired to an on/off switch. The way the tent fastens around the trailer the back end of it is exposed into the cabin (dressing room?) that goes down to the ground. They light it up pretty good. Someone scavenging car tail lights for a teardrop might be able to use the same concept, the lights would be outside but might make cool 'porch' lights.

Thanks again guys!

Laura
Laura
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Electrical Secrets