Wiring up Marinco Dual 12V/USB Receptacle

Anything electric, AC or DC

Wiring up Marinco Dual 12V/USB Receptacle

Postby Capebuild » Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:52 am

Anyone have experience wiring up one of these:
marinco.jpg
marinco.jpg (42.28 KiB) Viewed 452 times

I'm assuming each receptacle needs it's own wiring (one for 12 volt and one for USB)...correct?
Just not sure of what size circuit (wire size and fuse) to use for each ......
Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you.

John
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Visit my Teardrop build here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73779
Capebuild
Donating Member

Re: Wiring up Marinco Dual 12V/USB Receptacle

Postby GarthB » Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:33 am

The outlets that I ordered came pre-wired in the configuration shown below. I ran 12AWG to them simply because I had it on hand and my wire run was around 14ft, which seemed like it could be a stretch for the 16AWG that I wired all of my lights with.

GarthB
Teardrop Master

Postby saltydawg » Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:38 am

Garth is correct, they should come with the wires jumping them out already.
Scott
Lost in Maryland
2021 just said to 2020, hold my beer and watch this.
saltydawg
500 Club

Postby Capebuild » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:16 am

GarthB wrote:The outlets that I ordered came pre-wired in the configuration shown below.

thanks for the picture you posted. The Marincos ( I'm using three of them) did not come prewired.

I was wondering if the 2 receptacles (12 v and USB) needed to wired separately since the USB only requires 5 volts(??).

So your's are run in parallel and you have them wired to the same circuit. Did you use a 20 amp fuse?

Thanks

John
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby TimC » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:24 am

The USB outlet has 12v input and reduces that to 5v for you. So they can both be fed with the same source wire and jumped as shown in Salty's diagram. You could run separate wires from two circuits to each from your fuse panel as well, but that would be unusual. Depends what you'll use them for and if you care if one fuse blows the other will still be powered. Like I said, doable but unusual.

So if the wire(s) are run from your fuse panel from a fused circuit you do not need to fuse them again. If the fuse is in line go ahead and use it but its not necessary and just con"fuses" the issue if a fuse blows... which one?

And again, fuses protect the wire. Fuse for your wire gauge.
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:32 am

I concur with everything said.

One thing: I looked at using those USB ports and found the electrical noise they generate (converting 12 vdc to 5 vdc) was a problem for nearby radios. I went with another type (rectangular case; a household outlet plate went around them). May or may not be an issue for you, depending on whether you take a radio camping.

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby TimC » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:32 am

John, just a suggestion...

Think about not installing cigarette lighter outlets on your teardrop. I know many appliances still come with those plugs but they are easy to change to a more reliable plug/outlet. My first trip with my fridge the plug repeatedly fell out of the cigarette lighter outlet when i was on the road. They are sh**.

I switched to all Anderson Powerpole and have not had any more vibration issues. There are others that are just as reliable. APPs are not the only answer.

Does Dometic still ship with cigarette lighter plugs? I imagine that would be a tough changeover since everyone expects them and would say "what the crap" if they shipped with anything else.
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Postby Capebuild » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:36 am

thanks for the follow up, Tim.

I didn't mean to give the impression to "put a fuse" in the circuit between receptacle and fuse box.... I was asking what fuse Garth had used in his fuse box where that receptacle circuit was wire up to.

TimC wrote:The USB outlet has 12v input and reduces that to 5v for you. So they can both be fed with the same source wire and jumped as shown

Thanks for that explanation. I was wondering if the 12 volt input was, somehow, reduced to 5 v.

I just went and looked at the Dometic fridge (I had bought it a while ago while on sale so haven't looked at it in a while)..... There is an input wire with a male cigarette 12 volt plug that plugs into the rear of the unit. So I suppose that is how I'd get power to it. But I'll not use one of the Marinco receptacles noted in original post.... I'll install some dedicated receptacle just to power the fridge.
Last edited by Capebuild on Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:38 am

TimC wrote:John, just a suggestion...

Think about not installing cigarette lighter outlets on your teardrop. I know many appliances still come with those plugs but they are easy to change to a more reliable plug/outlet. My first trip with my fridge the plug repeatedly fell out of the cigarette lighter outlet when i was on the road. They are sh**.

I switched to all Anderson Powerpole and have not had any more vibration issues. There are others that are just as reliable. APPs are not the only answer.

Does Dometic still ship with cigarette lighter plugs? I imagine that would be a tough changeover since everyone expects them and would say "what the crap" if they shipped with anything else.

Good point! I will say we've used our cigarette lighter style plug for our DVD payer, which, of course, is not operating while we are driving.

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby Capebuild » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:53 am

I'll try one of these to power the Dometic

Thanks again for the help. This wiring stuff is a real learning experience :roll:

John
Attachments
12 v plug.jpg
12 v plug.jpg (156.39 KiB) Viewed 384 times

Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby Graniterich » Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:20 am

I put a switch in line to stop any parasitic draw from the usb port and led it has. Not exactly the same as this one.
Graniterich
Donating Member

Postby TimC » Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:05 am

Sorry, reread my post and didn't mean to come across as "don't ever use cigarette lighter sockets". Just use something more sturdy for anything like a fridge you want to keep running reliably.

:thinking:
Tim
Niagara, WI

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Postby Capebuild » Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:24 am

eeeessshhhh...... now I'm really confused.

I had contacted Marino tech support with the question I had originally posted.... and just received a response.
my email to them and their response below.
I suppose wiring the receptacles together ... or separate.... would work.
Will have to think about this a bit more.
John
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (109.72 KiB) Viewed 344 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (102.54 KiB) Viewed 344 times

Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby Socal Tom » Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:34 am

Tom&Shelly wrote:
TimC wrote:John, just a suggestion...

Good point! I will say we've used our cigarette lighter style plug for our DVD payer, which, of course, is not operating while we are driving.

Tom

I think its good to have one in the cabin. Its easy to put a car USB phone charger adapter in it, and if you do end up needing a cig ligher plug you are set. Honestly the only thing I plug into my cig lighter adapter is a small media server I have, everything else, phone, Ipad and humidifier use USB plugs.
Tom
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby John61CT » Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:53 pm

Standard ciggie sockets are IMO a dangerous abortion, avoid like the plague for anything important, or that you use regularly. Never more than 5-6A and only for short periods, as in a few minutes. Even then they are risky, an inherently poor design!

Blue Sea has a nice socket design that twist-locks with the matching plug, but will also accept standard ciggie plugs for smaller (<10A) loads.

Also the BMW/ Hella/ Merit/ Powerlet "Euro-style DIN" (ISO 4165) style is very robust.

Anderson plugs for high amps, for me my standard, for almost all power connections.

If you standardize on one of the last two types, there are adapters for guests, temporary use of devices with standard ciggie plugs.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Next

Return to Electrical Secrets